Weber Hickory smoke flavored salt

OP
2LaneCruzer

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
That's for sure 2Lane, I believe back in the depression who knew how old the meat was and they ate a lot critters (I know I have) just to feed themselves.

Even more important, parasites were a big deal then. Our commercially raised animals, even pork, are really parasite free today. Not so then; tapeworms and other such noxious critters were pretty common, including trichinosis. You didn't dare eat uncooked meat, even that you raised.

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
Trichinosis yep mom had to burn pork back when we were kids.

OP
2LaneCruzer

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I give J&D's Bacon Salt multi-packs as Christmas presents. Bacon Salt & Bacon Rub | J&Dç—´ | United States.

That said I don't add salt, just prefer foods that come salty to begin with. Got Dot's Pretzel twists? :licking:

To add smoky flavor I use a 'liquid smoke' product with my barbecued/baked beans & other specialties.
We discovered Woody's Cook-in Sauce years ago. It is generally used like BBQ sauce for cooking on the meat, but it is NOT SWEET, which I like, and is not bad about burning...and it has a great flavor. Sharn Jean puts it into her BBQ beans, and it's perfect.

/pine

Super Star Member
Most dry rubs and liquid marinates are already loaded with salt...too many friends and family we BBQ with have blood pressure issues so we try to limit the sodium...
For smoke flavor we use smoke...!

Last edited:

OP
2LaneCruzer

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Most dry rubs and liquid marinates are already loaded with salt...too many friends and family we BBQ with have blood pressure issues so we try to limit the sodium...
For smoke flavor we use smoke...!
Of course. That's why I make my own rubb. It's not too hot, not too salty and not too sweet...everybody seems to like it, and yeah, I use Mesquite, Black Jack Oak and Pecan wood for smoke.