Weed killer accident

/ Weed killer accident #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I usually spot spray weeds with Roundup in our house garden before mulching. I use Eraser Max on our pasture fence lines. Somehow I managed to mix the wrong one and spray. While I do not spray the plants directly, it is inevitable some may hit a leaf or branch. We have camillias, azaleas, miniature roses and holly bushes in our house garden. I am hoping I did not kill these plants, just not sure. Anyone have knowledge or experience with this?

/ Weed killer accident #2  
Eraser Max is Glyphosate and Imazapyr. Your plants should be safe from the glyphosate assuming you didn't get much on the plants. It takes a fair amount of glyphosate to kill shrubs and other woody ornamentals. The imazapyr can be a little more tricky as it can be absorbed by the roots and has more residual than glyphosate. Not much you can really do about it this point but wait and see. And unfortunately it a takes a while (like a month or so) for imazapyr to kill off it's target so you won't know for while if you really hurt them or not.

/ Weed killer accident #3  
I use a broadleaf herbicide called Kamba. Great for broadleaf weeds, with only a little short term negative effect on the desirable grasses. Weeeeel, I mixed up some Kamba in a 5 litre (1 1/4 gal) sprayer, and spot sprayed some weedy patches of lawn.

Little did I know that the last herbicide I'd used in the sprayer was Roundup, with the result that the first few patches of lawn were very effectively killed!

Lesson - rinse out your spray tank after use!

(I still get fed, so my dear wife has forgiven me...)

/ Weed killer accident
Eraser Max is Glyphosate and Imazapyr. Your plants should be safe from the glyphosate assuming you didn't get much on the plants. It takes a fair amount of glyphosate to kill shrubs and other woody ornamentals. The imazapyr can be a little more tricky as it can be absorbed by the roots and has more residual than glyphosate. Not much you can really do about it this point but wait and see. And unfortunately it a takes a while (like a month or so) for imazapyr to kill off it's target so you won't know for while if you really hurt them or not.

Imazapyr is what concerned me. Granted, I do not saturate anything, weeds or ground, so that may save me. We have a lot of rain coming this week, hopefully it helps 🤷‍♂️

/ Weed killer accident #5  
If you are using a plastic sprayer, rinsing will not help, especially if the roundup is left in the sprayer for an extended period. I have a sprayer that is dedicated to only roundup. I once mixed up my sprayers and use my roundup sprayer for Seven for my garden and killed what I sprayed. Lost my entire crop of broccoli that year. To clean a sprayer after using roundup requires rinsing with something that will neutralize the herbicide like activated charcoal.

/ Weed killer accident #6  
I use a broadleaf herbicide called Kamba. Great for broadleaf weeds, with only a little short term negative effect on the desirable grasses. Weeeeel, I mixed up some Kamba in a 5 litre (1 1/4 gal) sprayer, and spot sprayed some weedy patches of lawn.

Little did I know that the last herbicide I'd used in the sprayer was Roundup, with the result that the first few patches of lawn were very effectively killed!

(I still get fed, so my dear wife has forgiven me...)

I did the same thing and did rinse the tank. Forgot to flush the hose and nozzle.