Weeping battery

/ Weeping battery #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
Replaced 13yr factory battery last year. The new one has the removable cell inspection plates (factory one did not have) From the start, it has spilled onto the battery tray. Even after removing some of fluid, still does when over rough terrain (i'm in feral hog country).
So is there any fix short of dropping another $150 on a new one (w/o removable plates)? Tired of cleaning it up. Don't want to block a vent, though, & have it blow.
thx in advance

Last edited:
   / Weeping battery #2  
It might be over overcharging it causing it to boil the electrolyte eventually you will run out of electrolyte, or you could have a cell that's shorting out if it's a 12 volt there should be 6 cells in it which can also cause it to boil, Anyways If it were me I'd put a multimeter on it when it's running under 15 volts it's probably good, better yet take the battery in and have them put a conductance tester on it, it will tell you the condition of the batteries plates and tell you if you have a bad cell.

/ Weeping battery #4  
If it's an old style inexpensive battery with those six caps on top for checking the specific gravity and adding water...well, there's a reason those old style batteries are inexpensive. Mine always corroded the battery terminals and battery box. Vibration and rough country make it worse, but nothing makes it not happen.
Except: next time buy a sealed AGM type battery. It costs about 30% more than the old wet cell type but does not leak anything or corrode anything.

/ Weeping battery #5  
My very first thought - your system is over charging the battery. Three batteries ago - I gave up on the standard wet cell type - I only buy sealed AGM type now.

/ Weeping battery
If it's an old style inexpensive battery with those six caps on top for checking the specific gravity and adding water...well, there's a reason those old style batteries are inexpensive. Mine always corroded the battery terminals and battery box. Vibration and rough country make it worse, but nothing makes it not happen.
Except: next time buy a sealed AGM type battery. It costs about 30% more than the old wet cell type but does not leak anything or corrode anything.
yes, i agree on that. at time of purchase, didn't think along those lines. factory battery lasted 13yrs. remote chance it's alternator related & will check it out. my understanding is that all batteries are vented but in different ways. will take your advice & go with your suggestion for a more "sealed" unit. thanks

/ Weeping battery
good point as a temporary fix.

/ Weeping battery #9  
yes, i agree on that. at time of purchase, didn't think along those lines. factory battery lasted 13yrs. remote chance it's alternator related & will check it out. my understanding is that all batteries are vented but in different ways. will take your advice & go with your suggestion for a more "sealed" unit. thanks

AGMs have an over-pressure vent, but I've never seen one actually vent anything. I know they can be mounted in any position and can shipped in a standard cardboard box without any special handling because I've been ordering mine online & delivered to my front porch for years now.

To use your current battery will probably require a marine battery box like was said, but I've only seen one tractor with a big enough battery box to fit a marine box - and it can fit two side by side!
But that still leaves the problem of terminal corrosion.

You might try putting a rubber mat under the battery and running with the lights on to burn up some excess charge while you look for an AGM batt.

BTW, our M59 Kubota came with a capped type wet cell battery that lasted 13 or 14 years. But during that time it cost two sets of battery terminal fittings and one ground wire. All corroded to powder.
It has an AGM now. And another new set of terminals and cables. Should be maintenance-free for 10 to 15 years.
AGMs and Wet cells can both have the same lifespan since life in a battery depends mainly on the purity of the refined lead. Cheap batteries use re-refined lead which would be fine if well purified but most are not.

rScotty

/ Weeping battery
the current problematic battery is indeed a cheap one from my local vendor. the closed cell factory battery worked fine for 13 yrs. will look into AGM. initially i removed some fluid from the existing battery but it still weeps onto the tray. thanks for all above responses & detailed info. regards