Weight Roller

/ Weight Roller #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
I have never seen a weight roller for a 3pt. hitch to pack a surface or roll a lawn.

Why.??

Or, am I missing it.??

/ Weight Roller #2  
I have never seen a weight roller for a 3pt. hitch to pack a surface or roll a lawn.

Why.??

Or, am I missing it.??
I would think one reason would be that everytime you tried to turn a corner, you would be dragging it sideways and either rip up the lawn or tear up your 3pt. Either that or you would have to remember to raise it at every turn.

/ Weight Roller
Good point.

Are rollers available that hook up on a hitch or drawbar.?? You know, bigger than a hand pull one.??

How do most compact a fresh surface.??

/ Weight Roller #4  
Good point.

Are rollers available that hook up on a hitch or drawbar.?? You know, bigger than a hand pull one.??

Check these out. I haven't seen a real big one available commercially. I know somw members have made their own. Try searching lawn roller to see if they are still out here.

lawn rollers - Google Product Search

/ Weight Roller #5  
Would a cultipacker serve your purpose?
Look here:
Tractor Cultipacker 3 point

/ Weight Roller #6  
Good point.

You wanted big. Here's one that was built out of a 500 gallon LP tank. Found it right here on this site.

Attachments

• MVC-014S_preview.jpg
    MVC-014S_preview.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 309
   / Weight Roller #7  
I built a 7' x 24" roller using 7/8" wall pvc pipe the city left laying around after a sewer project. The pipe alone weighs about 400#. It was in a friends field for 1 year after the project so he and I felt it was free for the taking. Its filled with 26 bags, I believe, of concrete. I know the thing is heavy. I built it with one side on and it standing up next to a tree. Had to carry all the concrete up a ladder in 5 gallon buckets. Its got 3/4" plywood sides and I used pipe for the spindle. I put grease fittings in it so I can give it a shot before use. I made the rest out of pipe and a old bed frame I had laying around. Total cost was about $60.

Chris

Attachments

• roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
   / Weight Roller
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't need one at the moment but I will be bringing my lawn up some in the next year and it got me thinking.

I am surprised that they aren't popular as a 3pt. attachment.

/ Weight Roller #10  
Like this?

I Found it at Betstco- in Creswell Oregon-
eBay Store - Betst Companies: Flail Mower, Backhoe, Wood Chipper
I love that with the 3 point you can lift it, not just drag it to another location.
A bit bigger than a 55 gal drum, we est the weight to be in the 800 lb range

If you want one, you need to call him and let him know- he orders months in advance from china. He has a few ordered for the spring- I'll ask him how many next week- I have a finish mower to pick up there. currently he has none, and has never advertised them on the internet

Here is my lawn thread
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/154187-new-lawn.html
attachment.php

Last edited: