weightlifting--1401d

/ weightlifting--1401d
Sorry to be so late in responding...been away from my computer a few days. Thanks to everyone for your help!
I tried out the flail mower this weekend--lifted only about 2" off the ground and the relief valve kicked in...boy, that thing squeals!
As much as I hated to pass on the deal, I've decided to go with a small bush/brush-hog instead.
Thanks again! At least I've learned a little about hydraulics from this duscussion /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tony

/ weightlifting--1401d #13  
Tony- I wonder if your relief valve is set a little low- I have a 42" brush mower with chain guard kit that's got to weigh over 400 pounds and sticks way out behind the tractor, and my 1401D lifts it with no problems. I have also lifted my 4 foot box scraper with 200 pounds of additional ballast. Maybe other 1401D owners will speak up but yours should lift 463 pounds with no trouble as long as you have some front ballast.

/ weightlifting--1401d
thanks, hosejockey. I have my relief valve wide open; I recently replaced my hydraulic fluid--and cleaned the filter/screen. The fluid is topped off. Is there anything else I'm missing?
As I mentioned, when I lifted the mower, I only got about 2" off the ground before the relief valve began to squeal. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ weightlifting--1401d
Dave and Jim, Thanks! I may have mis-read my 169 manual, but I'm pretty sure 661 lbs. was the weight given for the 3 pt. lift capacity. As you see, I know nothing about hydraulics, but I'm wondering if there could be a problem with my pump, etc.?
I certainly had no problems with ballast--when I lifted the mower the whole 2" off the ground, the front end didn't budge.
hmmm..... I sure liked that mower too! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ weightlifting--1401d #18  
Tony,
You are correct, the 169 operation manual (page 7) does say 661 lbs and 1367 lbs Max at hitch point. The 169 Service manual on page 14 says "lifting power 1102 lbs (500 kg). So I guess its safe to say, (like Dave's 900 lbs) that it must be somewhere between 661 and 1102.

/ weightlifting--1401d
Jim, It seems then, that the least I should be able to lift is 661lbs.
Arggh! I wish I could lift that much... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ weightlifting--1401d #20  
the relief valve may of gotten weak i'd say. Might want to investigate it unless you don't plan on realy lifting. My 3pt will lift the front end easy with 400# up front...