Weird GFCI Tripping Problem

/ Weird GFCI Tripping Problem #51  
In business permits just cost of doing business...

My last was for roof.. demo old shake, put down plywood, 30 felt double coverage, flashing and Presidential Shingles... Inspector never got out of the car.

We don't need a permit for repairs here, like replacing an outlet, or repairing a hole in the roof. But we do need a permit for adding new circuits, or complete roof replacement/modification.

/ Weird GFCI Tripping Problem #52  
Anyhow, sorry for the thread hijack.

Hope the OP found his wiring issue and got it corrrected. The GFCI tester is pretty inexpensive and helps with troubleshooting.

/ Weird GFCI Tripping Problem
Anyhow, sorry for the thread hijack.

Hope the OP found his wiring issue and got it corrected. The GFCI tester is pretty inexpensive and helps with troubleshooting.

OP here. After this discussion went off the rails, I said to heck with it and put in a regular outlet. It is in a super dry garage and I have a portable plug in GFCI that I use anytime I run an extension cord outside.

/ Weird GFCI Tripping Problem #55  
If you live in a populated area backfeeding, while still connect to the grid, will overload your generator as you are feeding who knows how many homes. My subdivision is all underground so the lines wouldn't be broken nearby. Now at my property it's a different story as the line may be broken right before my place and I'm on a dead end.

As far as GFCI outlets the cheapo ones are made in china so don't expect quality or longevity. We did have a situation or two with lab equipment that worked fine and no known leakage to earth but it would trip after awhile. We swapped out and had the same problem. It could have been a bad batch off the same line as the first guy who worked on it just changed the GFCI out.

/ Weird GFCI Tripping Problem #56  
Some areas have building codes.
Here (Quebec) only a licensed carpenter can work in construction.
Also all trades are licensed hence you shall not wire your house.
Elsewhere in Canada is different.
That being said I did all my electricity in my home as well as a few others BUT I needed somebody to sign off.
I knew the codes and believe U me I exceeded them in most cases.
At one time we wired up a major rebuild and a local 'blew the whistle' and along came a Hydro inspector to check things out.
LOL, we passed with flying colors.

On the other hand I did wire a new construction as the owner was an electrical engineer that even consulted for Hydro Quebec*.
Basically I did this under his wing/supervision.
LOL, he asked why I used colored wire and why some boxes were at 48" and others at 60"s.
Maybe an electrical genius but sure not hands on.

* he has travelled many times to African locations to consult for Hydro Quebec projects.

/ Weird GFCI Tripping Problem #57  
We don't need a permit for repairs here, like replacing an outlet, or repairing a hole in the roof. But we do need a permit for adding new circuits, or complete roof replacement/modification.

OH, Sh-t, here we need permits for just about everything.
The trick is do it, and fast! the inspectors only work 'till noon on Friday so start at 1:00 pm Fri and finish by Mon AM.

Commercial OK! but home? I can't change my defective outlet?
LOL, come get me!

/ Weird GFCI Tripping Problem #58  
OH, Sh-t, here we need permits for just about everything.
The trick is do it, and fast! the inspectors only work 'till noon on Friday so start at 1:00 pm Fri and finish by Mon AM.

Commercial OK! but home? I can't change my defective outlet?
LOL, come get me!

My folks had a snowbird park model trailer in FL. It had a Florida room built on the side which was common in that park. The last 10' was not fully enclosed to be a covered deck. Dad wanted to enclose it to make a bedroom for visiting family. The city required permits engineered drawings $$$$. Friends in the park said enclose those walls on the weekend when the inspectors are off work. Keep a low profile in case a neighbor snitches. He had the two walls sort of pre-fabbed to make it go even quicker.