Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #11  
What specifically could the original problem have been. It does go into 4wd and 2wd no problem.
It is most likely operator error. With slightly mis matched or worn tires, the 4 wd lever is hard to disengage.

If you put it in neutral or reverse direction, the lever will move freely.

Some people just slam the lever down with their foot. This is probably what happened to yours.

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710
It is most likely operator error. With slightly mis matched or worn tires, the 4 wd lever is hard to disengage.

If you put it in neutral or reverse direction, the lever will move freely.

Some people just slam the lever down with their foot. This is probably what happened to yours.
Do you think I need to do anything to it, or just not touch it and leave it how it is? Thanks again for your quick responses.

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #13  
If it works, there's likely no harm in leaving it. If it doesn't fully disengage, then you need to remove--or shorten--the added bar.
I have to think that if the norm is to disengage by stepping on it, it was a way to keep it from being overly pressured. Or...just maybe...a previous owner had a habit of using it for a foot rest and wanted to keep excessive pressure off the internal components.

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #14  
I have a 1983 ford 1710 4wd and there a mystery piece welded on the 4wd lever as pictured. Doesn’t let it go fully down. Could there have been a problem before I got it? Is it bad?

Thanks everyone for advise.
My father had a sign in his workshop that said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #15  
I have a 1983 ford 1710 4wd and there a mystery piece welded on the 4wd lever as pictured. Doesn’t let it go fully down. Could there have been a problem before I got it? Is it bad?

My Ford 1700 4wd lever broke off at the pivot and I think that it was because of stepping on the lever when I was getting on the tractor. I would surmise that piece was welded on as a stop to keep from breaking the lever off.

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #16  
My Ford 1700 4wd lever broke off at the pivot and I think that it was because of stepping on the lever when I was getting on the tractor. I would surmise that piece was welded on as a stop to keep from breaking the lever off.
This

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #17  

Wow. Calling that a weld is a stretch. Hopefully he didn't try to weld anything else.

/ Weird part welded on 4wd lever on Ford 1710 #18  
People jamming down on a hand lever with their foot makes me cringe..

Could be that not having a 'travel limiter' could lead to a REALLY tedious repair like shearing a roll pin on a shift fork or something internal where you have to spend 5 hours fighting a 10 cent part that never would have broken if not for laziness and stupidity. I'd go to great lengths to prevent something like that from happening twice if it happened to me.. :ROFLMAO: