weld failure?

/ weld failure? #1  

lt190b

Gold Member
Tractor
farmall 40
This is a caster yolk from my mower. Can you tell from the pictures if this is a welding failure or abuse? caster wheel yolk 001.jpgcaster wheel yolk 003.jpgcaster wheel yolk 002.jpg

/ weld failure? #2  
Opinions are like ... and everyone has one. Here is mine.. It was never welded properly in the first place. It was welded with a MIG, and it wasn't turned up enough. Too much metal not enough heat to get really good penetration. Grind that off and stick weld it with some 7018 1/8 at at least 125 amps or more. If you can let the shaft down a little bit to get more of the rod to weld to and make it stronger with multiple passes. Like I said it is just an opinion. "there are many like it, but this one is mine". :)

/ weld failure? #4  
The part looks nearly unused, unless you scrubbed it clean for the pic. I agree with James assessment.

/ weld failure? #5  
That is the big problem with Mig welding. People run them too cold. Even when a Mig weld is run cold, it looks good. BUT IT'S NOT!

Attachments

• 220 Mig 1.jpg
    220 Mig 1.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 425
  • 220 Mig 2.jpg
    220 Mig 2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 413
   / weld failure? #6  
Man I was a welding inspector for a large heavy equipment company years ago and this sure brought back memories. From the picture I agree with the above post. I will also add to me it looks like the joint design did not allow for sufficient weld size for the load. Now all being said that is based upon what I see in the picture. Is there a reason the shaft is not welded on the other side of the metal it runs through?

/ weld failure? #7  
Man I was a welding inspector for a large heavy equipment company years ago and this sure brought back memories. From the picture I agree with the above post. I will also add to me it looks like the joint design did not allow for sufficient weld size for the load. Now all being said that is based upon what I see in the picture. Is there a reason the shaft is not welded on the other side of the metal it runs through?

Seconded:

The part looks like a swiveling castor wheel support and they usually rotate around the round-bar post in a bushing which sits on the upper surface. Welding there causes an imperfect seating area and would not allow free rotation.

It's not a great fabrication but quite a common style of design in the grass industry.

A 'stepped' post would be a better design but more expensive to manufacture so the $ales Dept. wins over the Service Dept.

/ weld failure? #8  
In my opinion that's a poor design, weld could have been better but either way the design isn't adaquate. Either needs to be welded in two spaced places as was stated already or at least have a heavier "block" for the shaft and a press fit.

/ weld failure? #9  
Its quite obvious that its a welding failure....the weld broke.

But the question is was the failure from abuse? Or a bad weld? or a Bad design? OR a combination of the above?

It dont matter how strong something is built, or how well it is welded, there is always someone who can tear it up.

I agree its a cheap design. But its probably on a cheap light duty cutter so what do you expect? Weld it back on and use it til it fails again. But good tailwheels ARE welded in two places. Usually the U shape fork has a second piece welded in about two inches below the top. The shaft goes through TWO pieces of metal and not just one.

King Kutter Rotary Cutter Wheel Fork 4:(19 by King Kutter Inc for $67.97 in King Kutter - Brands : Rural King

or Wheel Fork | Agri Supply 63739

/ weld failure? #10  
I could be wrong but I first thought it was the front caster for a zero turn, looked like from a gravely . Maybe wrong but I doubt it was from a rotory cutter.

Now I'm kinda curious what it's off of.