Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower

/ Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower #1  

North to Alaska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4520r
Looking to get a 3pt snowblower by this fall. A decision I will have to make is whether I want to get one with replaceable (bolted) scraper blade or to be okay with a welded one.
I have a 1/8 mile of gravel (some larger rocks) drive and a good sized gravel parking area. Might do some work for neighbors to. Most everything is gravel.
I assume the scraper usually gets worn down on paved surfaces where as gravel usually has a bit of a packed snow on it to keep the rocks out?

If the scraper gets worn down, how easy is to weld on another? If it is doable than I figured I will pay a little extra for the weld job vs $1,000 extra for blower that bolted blades?

I have looked at the Woodmaxx brand. It has bolted on cutting edge but is reversible for gravel?
I may go with that anyway due to other features like the serrated augers. Our snow can get deep and wet and turn to ice at times.

But back to the original issue, bolted or welded scraper? Especially if $ is an issue.

/ Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower #2  
Bolted...

/ Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower
Bolted...
But why?
I am trying to get an understanding of how quickly they wear out on gravel and how easy it is to cut and weld a new one (for welded)
If all things being equal, I would definitely go with bolted.

/ Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower #4  
But why?
I am trying to get an understanding of how quickly they wear out on gravel and how easy it is to cut and weld a new one (for welded)
If all things being equal, I would definitely go with bolted.
Easier replacement, or if want to go what a hard plastic (UHMW), that's possible too

/ Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower #5  
I've had a snowblower on my skidsteer since 2009; used it for my paved driveway (600' long, 2,000 sf in front of my garage) and my neighbors paved driveway (double the size of mine). I use down pressure too quite frequently to scrape up ice/packed down snow from cars driving on it. The blower edge is original and still in great shape. It will outlast me.

I wouldn't worry too much about it wearing down.

But.....I would also vote for bolt on, just in case it breaks or something abnormally.

/ Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower #6  
I have 3 dirt bucket edges ranging from a 1970s load to a 2001. The 2001 is the only one with a bolt on edge and the only one that I have had issues with. Bolts on one edge broke and caused crap to build up between the two pieces. It was like this when I got it. How ever this is on buckets not a snow blower.

I wouldnt buy a woodsmaxx. There chinese built and for a few hundred more you can buy a US or Canadian built product. Farm king is a north american brand. The used market here is prety decent for these things too

I got a 60in Woods 3pt blower with minimal use for $1400 about a year ago.

/ Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower #8  
If you ever have to replace the edge, you'll wish you'd gotten the bolt on one. Welding on a scraper edge requires some expertise to keep the blade from warping.

/ Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower #9  
My 25 year old AgroTrend blower has a welded edge, my gravel driveway is 800'+ and I live in the snowbelt. The edge is fine, no wear to speak of. I wouldn't worry about welded or bolted, the edge will outlast you, as will a quality snow blower.

/ Welded vs bolted scraper edge-3pt blower #10  
Sure, bolted is nice, but I have been doing my gravel yard for 8 years with the blower I am using now and the cutting edge, nor the skid shoes have any noticeable wear yet and I live in a heavy snowfall area.

My bucket on my loader has a welded on edge and it is wore down pretty good, but with a good local welder it's a non-issue.