welder for a novice??

/ welder for a novice?? #11  
I bought a little Lincold Weld-Pak 100 wire-feed eleven or twelve years ago, and it's been great. It's advantages: it's portable, runs off 110 volts, doesn't need gas with the flux-core wire, and it's easy to use. Also, outdoors the wind won't blow the shielding gas away. It's low current output is fine for the thin stuff I'm usually welding, and it's duty cycle has only bothered me once or twice, when I was pushing its limits and welding lots of thick stuff. I highly recommend one for a beginner, it's almost like a hot-glue gun.

For thicker, heavier stuff, I also bought a AC/DC "tombstone" stick welder last year, so for less than $900 I have TWO welding setups--the little wire-feed for thin stuff, and the bigger unit for the big jobs.

I also feel that some people are a little too quick to malign the little flux-core wire-feed units. Within their limitations, (and realizing their shortcomings) they're great. One must remember that one welder will not be the "best" for any and all jobs...a setup that's "best" for welding mower decks won't be the "best" for welding battleship hulls. A setup that's "best" for production-shop machine fabrication won't be "best" for the farmer fixing an implement in the field.

/ welder for a novice?? #12  
I also feel that some people are a little too quick to malign the little flux-core wire-feed units. Within their limitations, (and realizing their shortcomings) they're great.

I don't have any problems using flux core wire .It's just that your limited as to where & how you weld . Using gas (in my opinion )you can get a better weld overhead ,vertical & down hill. If you try to run down hill with flux core , the flux will sometimes try to get ahead of you when you are trying to go slow to get good heat/penetration on the metal.Flux on a stick & flux on wire aren't the same. AS you may know,You use different rod/flux for different welds.If he is going to buy mig , I would buy the mig that is also set up for gas.That way, when he learns or want's to weld overhead ,etc, .he will be set up to do so. I started on a stick ,so, I guess I can't see where one is easier than the other.Like has been said , everyone has their own opinion about welder - brands-types( mig/ stick) gas or no gas. & I don't think any of these folkes are are wrong. It's just what they prefer.

/ welder for a novice?? #13  
They are a bit on the expensive side but I think I am going to like the Miller DVI I got for christmas. I have not used it yet due to some very pressing construction commitments. I did research it quite a bit. One of the things that i like about it is that you can basically use one of the adapters that come with it and find a hole that it will fit then start welding. It automatically adjusts to either 115 v or 230. In 115v mode it only welds lighter metals but a lot of the time that is all you need. in 230 volt mode it will weld up to 1/2 inch with one pass according to the specs. I noticed that it only had a 40 per cent duty cycle but that is with the current turned all the way up. I looked at the chart in the manual and at approximately 125 amps it has a 90 per cent duty cycle. One of the things I had not thought about was the price of welding wire. The large spools of wire are about 1/3 the price of 3 of the smaller spools. I am anxious to get a chance to hook it up. I need to weld some hooks on the bucket on my tractor this would be a great opportunity to try it out as soon as I get some free time.

/ welder for a novice?? #14  
Depends on what types of material you have in mind for welding I would think, and also your budget. If you have stick welded before, maybe it wouldn't be too hard to pick it back up. Your thoughts on projects you would like to do would help. How much do you want to spend?

/ welder for a novice?? #15  
j845125 said:
I've been reading the various welding threads with a great deal of interest. When I need something welded I usually take it to someone, but am thinking I could do some of the smaller stuff myself. Years ago(probably 20) I had a couple tech school classes with a stick welder, don't remember much. I'd like your opinions on what kind of welder to get, and how to relearn. Thanks.

Lots of good advice here. I would:
1. Sign up for a class at your local community/techinical college. This should help you remember what you learned 20 yers ago.
2. Learn how to stick weld. Make yourself. When I was a young man my dad taught me how to weld with a stick. Invaluable to know when you have farm equipment to repair.
3. My advice is to own 2 welders. A Lincoln tombstone and a 220V mig. Lots of flexibility to weld most all materilals.

/ welder for a novice?? #16  
gemini5362 said:
My wife suprised me this christmas I got a Miller DVI welder with a spoolgun. I have done some mig welding with our unit at the shop and have always wanted one. I can not wait until tomorrow so I can get to the welding shop and get a tank and then weld something. I dont really have a project going on at home at the moment but I will find something to do I am sure :)

Your going to really like that DVI welder. It is almost as good as the Miller 210 running on 240 and if you are going to weld lighter stuff you can change to 120 and it does great in thin metal. I got mine because it was on special and the guys at the local welding supply store recomended it for home and farm use. It is much better than the stick or mig welder it replaced that were stolen. I would buy one again without question.

Al

/ welder for a novice?? #17  
Sully2 said:
A friend of mine said i should have taken the $300 the class is going to cost me added to the $450 I spent on my little HH140 and got a larger welder....and I said .."Why? So I could have a $750 welder I couldnt use?...lol"

If material and duty cycles EVER gets to be a boat anchor to me...I'll connvert the HH140 to MIG for sheet matel and buy something like a MM210...that can do 3/8 stock in a single pass and 1/2 metal in multiple passes and STILL use the flue core wire. I dont mind chipping slag away....ALL stick weldors have to do it....:)

Scully2,

The class I took a few years ago, was from 6pm until 9 pm one day a week for 12 weeks. It included all the rod, wire, steel, materials and they had shears, band saws, chop saws, grinders and polishers. They showed you how to gas weld, gas braze, gas cut, mig weld and stick weld. About 1/2 of the class was on stick. Cost was $90. It was a non-certificate course for people that were wanting to learn how to do it, not do it for a living. The only tests were on the shop floor welding pieces together and doing the bend. There is a also a second class that does advanced Mig and Tig. Oh, the teacher encouraged advanced students to bring in projects and he would give advice on fixing or building it right.

Best money I ever spent.

jb

/ welder for a novice?? #18  
I've got about 50 hours into my backhoe project. About 10 of that is chipping slag.
Picture 1.
Picture 2.

I only have a stick welder and oxy torch set. I would love to have a MIG or even just a wire feed unit, but as mentioned, one that will do thick stock with deep penetration will cost $$. My little Sears arc unit works fine for thick stuff. It is over 25 years old. A Lincoln tomb stone welder will probably last you a life time, the company has been around a long time and will be there for support later.

I would learn on stick, and then take an oxy acetelene class, too. Once you get O.K. with stick, take a MIG class.

/ welder for a novice?? #19  
john_bud said:
Scully2,

The class I took a few years ago, was from 6pm until 9 pm one day a week for 12 weeks. It included all the rod, wire, steel, materials and they had shears, band saws, chop saws, grinders and polishers. They showed you how to gas weld, gas braze, gas cut, mig weld and stick weld. About 1/2 of the class was on stick. Cost was $90. It was a non-certificate course for people that were wanting to learn how to do it, not do it for a living. The only tests were on the shop floor welding pieces together and doing the bend. There is a also a second class that does advanced Mig and Tig. Oh, the teacher encouraged advanced students to bring in projects and he would give advice on fixing or building it right.

Best money I ever spent.

jb

Well..I called about the course..what all it included and it has LITTLE to do with stick welding...which dont make me mad at all. Its mostly a "beginners" course in wire fed..gas and gasless..and TIG...with of course SOME small amount of stick tossed in.

3hrs a night...2 nights a week...7 weeks....$300.

If I do well..??..I may go and take their advanced course..4 hrs a night..1 night a week...5 weeks. Advanced Mig ( ???) and Tig. Another $300.

/ welder for a novice?? #20  
I had to replace the exhaust on my jeep - so I rented MIG from a rental place and done it. That was my first welding project - I had like an hour of stick welding in college and got an A from the Theory of Welding :D ( I am Mech Eng major) - well the exhaust lasted two or three years as expected.

Than Sam's club had the last Lincoln 100 the display unit for $160 without the ground clamp and without the box so I bought it. You can not find it cheaper anywhere. I built quite few things with it since - two trailers, lanscaping rake, bumper and tire carrier for my jeep... but I am thinking about stick welder morfe annd more nowadays for bigger jobs.