welding after cataract surgery

/ welding after cataract surgery #11  
You need to get a lenses that is focused for your welding distance. Also when you get tested have them dim the room lites so your pupil will open. The more expensive solution is a full frame progressive bifocal. This will allow you tilt your head and be able to change your focus distance about 10 inches from selected distance, they will be about $600.00,you'll need a large window face mask to make it work

/ welding after cataract surgery #12  
And I assume it accepts the 'cheater' lenses?

I use a cheater as well. Yes it will go in from the top or bottom and slides to where you need it.

/ welding after cataract surgery #13  
Great post. I too had cataract surgery on both eyes just last month. Chose to correct vision for distance. Both eyes now 20/20. I haven't tried welding yet but figured I may need to use readers under the helmet. I use 1.75 or 2.0 for close work.

It's hard for me to get used to because for the past 50 years I needed glasses to see distance and NOT for computer work, reading, or any close up work. Now, it's just the opposite and need glasses for close work. Things are much brighter now and use sunglasses to drive.

/ welding after cataract surgery #14  
OH, Brother. I just had the eye Dr check my eyes yesterday. I'm beginning to develop cataracts. For the last couple years its been reading glasses OR real strong light if I'm doing anything up close. So far - distance needs no help. This whole situation scares me. I'm blind in my right eye (hereditary). If, for any reason, they should screw up on the surgery on my left eye..........

The Dr said I should wait until things get worse before any surgery. I've been to two local eye Dr's for their opinions. Both say the same thing. I will be going to the eye Dr every year from now on.

/ welding after cataract surgery #15  
I have dry eyes. Dr. says my face is sagging and don't hold my eyes tight enough among other causes. I had the cateract surgery on the worst eye. The good news - When the moisture level is right it's now my better eye. The bad news - Keeping the moisture level right is kind of an art and I'm no artist. Welding is probably a little better now.

/ welding after cataract surgery
Because I am in my mid 50's the doctor put in multifocal lens that were for distance and intermediate vision. The left eye has astigimatism so it took a different lens. It has a focal point of 16" and the right eye is 24".
Distance vision is 20:10 in one eye and 20:20 in the other. I can read the computer fairly well without glasses but way better with them. If I am out in the bright sun I can read most things. In a darkened room I need 1.75x to 2X. At night every light has a starburst pattern with rays coming off of the light. Luckily I don't drive much at night.
Give me bright light and a strong arc from lets say 120A from a stick welder I can see fine.

Someone suggested a fixed gold lens so I will try that instead of using my Miller Digital elite. I also see that they now make helmets with true vue lens so something else to look into

/ welding after cataract surgery #17  
After cataract surgery I used the same auto dimming helmet as before. But I added a pair of wrap around sunglasses, polarized, UV400 with light yellow tint. You need to protect those plastic insert lenses in your eyes from damage due to ultraviolet radiation, which can get into your helmet from the backside after reflection from walls, etc. And I always wear the sunglasses outdoors.

Good luck

/ welding after cataract surgery #18  
I use cheaters that focus best at the distance i'm mostly welding. I would sometimes try to get closer, thinking i'd see better, then remember to back up and the picture was much clearer. Bright lights help, welding in the sun is pretty good, if your hood blocks out light shining into the hood. I've come to the conclusion, that my sight will never be as good as it once was.

/ welding after cataract surgery #19