welding cables (are they special?)

/ welding cables (are they special?) #1  

Superduper

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120, Kubota BX2350, Deere X740
Hi everyone. Lost the cables on my older Craftsman 230/140 ac/dc stick welder and looks like they have already been discontinued so guess I'll be making a new set.

Does anyone have an opinion on what guage wires I should use and whether it is necessary to use "welding" cables or can I use standard copper cables at the local HD? Is there a difference?

Thanks.

/ welding cables (are they special?) #2  
Do you have a TSC close by? They sell welding cable by the foot...

/ welding cables (are they special?) #3  
I bought some cheap ones at Harbor Freight. I cut the flat blade ends off and bought the plug ends that fit my old Marquette at a welding supply. They work just fine.

/ welding cables (are they special?) #4  
Welding cables are made for repeated flexing i.e. the wire is a fine braid. The insulation rating is typically 600v. Your local welding supply should stock them and they can help you match the amperage and duty cycle of your welder.

Hurry - copper just went through the roof.

/ welding cables (are they special?)
Brad_Blazer said:
Hurry - copper just went through the roof.

Might be a little late for that. I think we missed the boat by about a year or more.

/ welding cables (are they special?) #6  
Good properly sized cables will worth the money.:D

/ welding cables (are they special?) #7  
Get good sized cables to carry the current if you are getting long ones. There is a voltage drop when running high current. Also as stated welding cables have fine copper strands for flexibility. Instead of the regular rod holder maybe looking at something that is more ergonomic to hold while welding is what a welder friend of mine suggested. It's easier on the wrist and to start the arc.
Jim

/ welding cables (are they special?) #8  
osha fines companies for cables with cracked insulation. If you know of anybody that works for a construction company, you may be able to get cables for little or nothing. If the connections arent right you should be able to buy and install them.

/ welding cables (are they special?) #9  
   / welding cables (are they special?) #10  
Superduper said:
Hi everyone. Lost the cables on my older Craftsman 230/140 ac/dc stick welder and looks like they have already been discontinued so guess I'll be making a new set.

Does anyone have an opinion on what guage wires I should use and whether it is necessary to use "welding" cables or can I use standard copper cables at the local HD? Is there a difference?

Thanks.

I made a 30-ft extension cord for my Hobart Stickmate LX using 8 AWG/3 conductor cable, stranded wire, neoprene insulation rated at 600V, -50C to 105C temperature range and I run the welder off 230V/50A service. Works fine.