Welding chrome vanadium steel

/ Welding chrome vanadium steel #1  

CNC Dan

Veteran Member
I need to weld sime flat stock to a socket wrench. The steel will be .250"x2.0" HRS, and the back of the socket is just a little smaller than 2.0". I will grind all the plating off of the socket where the weld bead will go. I think 7018 rod will be OK, but I'm not sure about preheat. I plan on wraping in a welding blanket to slow the cooling after doing the weld.
Anyone have any suggestions?

/ Welding chrome vanadium steel #2  
Over the years I've had to weld sockets for one reason or another. One time I broke a 1/2-inch breaker bar right at the jaw that holds the 1/2-inch square stock using a piece of 3-feet long pipe as a cheater. 7018 without any post weld treatment, went right back to doing the same thing with the breaker bar! It didn't break again......... Wonder what ever happened to that breaker bar?:scratchchin:

/ Welding chrome vanadium steel #3  
I too have welded the same material sockets to various pipes, rods and also to each other.. Never had a problem.. I used wire but rods will work too.

/ Welding chrome vanadium steel #4  
I too have welded on sockets and wrenches using 7018 with good results.

/ Welding chrome vanadium steel #5  
Wonder what ever happened to that breaker bar?:scratchchin:
Oh I remember now!:rolleyes: In the mid 70's I was working at a Chevron refinery, and had all my tools stolen, that breaker bar was in my tool box. Man it sucks to get old, can't remember ****.:mad:

/ Welding chrome vanadium steel #6  
Oh I remember now!:rolleyes: In the mid 70's I was working at a Chevron refinery, and had all my tools stolen, that breaker bar was in my tool box. Man it sucks to get old, can't remember ****.:mad:

Hey dont feel too bad, i cant remember anything either. I had a friend ask me once if i have to make twelve trips to the store to get a dozen bagels! :O

/ Welding chrome vanadium steel
Thanks for all the replys guys.
I just started face-ing off some of the length of the socket. Now I realize I will need another socket so I can have one in the middle of the handle, and one on the end. Need to get some more 1/4x2 steel too. Just don't have the right size amongst all the sizes that I do have.