Welding Hardened Steel

/ Welding Hardened Steel #11  
You'll be fine using 6013 with your Lincoln AC.

That's all I ever used on the farm with my buzzbox. Back then I didn't even KNOW about DC welders.

Bought it new for $220 in 1965 off the Snap On truck. Still have it...

IMG_7357.JPG

Terry

/ Welding Hardened Steel #12  
You'll be fine using 6013 with your Lincoln AC.

That's all I ever used on the farm with my buzzbox. Back then I didn't even KNOW about DC welders.

Bought it new for $220 in 1965 off the Snap On truck. Still have it...

View attachment 519059

Terry
And still in good condition Terry. Very cool that it has settings for Soldering and Brazing/Heating as well as welding. Do you have the necessary attachments?

/ Welding Hardened Steel #13  
Spanner. It came with a carbon arc torch, a couple boxes of carbons and a plug-in soldering iron. Regretfully, over the years these items were 'disposed of'.

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

A couple of years ago I took the dents out, repainted the sheet metal and had the front panel info digitally reproduced and 'wrapped'. Also reworked the undercarriage to make it more user friendly and added 'cable management'.

It's probably in the best shape it's ever been and I never use it anymore.

Terry

/ Welding Hardened Steel #14  
And still in good condition Terry. Very cool that it has settings for Soldering and Brazing/Heating as well as welding. Do you have the necessary attachments?

THAT is very cool. Restoring or protecting welders is a rare encounter in my world. A while back I was impressed that SA has all those old SA200 units. I remember selling all the brushes and parts for them back in the day. This stick unit impresses me as well. Nice unit !!

/ Welding Hardened Steel #15  
If you just have AC you can still run 7018AC. Works ok. Or look for some MG 80T

/ Welding Hardened Steel #16  
If you just have AC you can still run 7018AC. Works ok. Or look for some MG 80T

I sure can't. I never want to see an AC stick welder again. It's MUCH harder than a DC welder.

/ Welding Hardened Steel #17  
I've got an old "buzz box" and it has copper windings. It will weld 7018 just fine.

/ Welding Hardened Steel #18  
I personally have never had any luck with 7018 on an AC machine. Even 7018 AC rod.

But on a DC machine it runs nicely.

/ Welding Hardened Steel #19  
Dont mix 6011 and 7018.
Grind the crack clean.
7014 or 7018 make sure the rods are not ruined by moisture.
Neither can just sit on a shelf. If they are old stick them in your oven. Mother might complain but you gotta do it.

/ Welding Hardened Steel #20  
I have always been told that 7018 have to be stored in an oven to run correctly. They are really sensitive to moisture. I've used them before but I like a 7014 better.