welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge

/ welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge #11  
Don't waste your resources trying to run SS mig wire with straight Argon. 0 chance of working. Buy a pound of Weldcote Super 120 stick rod. If there is any left over you can use it to weld the leaf spring on your Jeep. 7018 will also work and is common for this repair. Good Luck..

/ welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge #12  
From the OP, post#7 - "I do not have access to a stick machine"

I've not had occasion to try it, but supposedly 70s wire is considered low hydrogen - so it seems to me that finding a way to preheat might be the only option.

I have a few grader blades, local county shops used to GIVE 'em away. Don't think I'd wanna drill that material without a "gas axe"... Steve

/ welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge
it was a bolt-on edge before, it will be again. there are several pre-drilled holes. I will grab my calipers and figure out what I need.
It was a new problem to me, welded every day as a young man then figured out another way to make a living, have the MIG now for light fab, repairs and this dang gate the CFO wants me to build.
Thanks, Guys.

/ welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge #14  
If your pre-drilled holes are like the ones on my stash of used grader blades, they're pre-formed/punched for plow bolts - those present a smooth flat top and have a square shoulder (like a carriage bolt, but with a flat topped head) - if your blade has that, I would DEFINITELY find some actual plow bolts... Steve

/ welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge #15  
We used 6010 on the inside of a large crack and then 7018 at around 115A on the crack itself after grinding the Vs everywhere needed on my payloader bucket. It is still holding.

/ welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge #16  
We used 6010 on the inside of a large crack and then 7018 at around 115A on the crack itself after grinding the Vs everywhere needed on my payloader bucket. It is still holding.

Hard to use those with a Millermatic 211......

/ welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge #17  
Try to preheat and cool slowly thats your best bet short of a stick machine and some stainless like a 308l

/ welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge #18  
Hard to use those with a Millermatic 211......

We used 1/8" rods with my humble Miller Multimatic 200 which is a fantastic little welder.

Last edited:
   / welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge #19  
   / welding mild steel to a replaceable cutting edge #20  
All of which is a moot point if people would actually READ the OP's last post #13, and quit trying to drive traffic to their U-tube channels and/or brag about high dollar equipment they KNOW the OP does NOT have... Steve