Welding on a mower deck?

/ Welding on a mower deck? #1  

Lickity Split

Tractor
MF65, Toro Groundsmaster 72
Is it ok to rebuild my mower deck?
It is rusted out where a pulley is, I would cut the weld out and put in a new plate and re weld the pulley on.
Is this safe, would you guys do this.
Lickity Split

/ Welding on a mower deck? #2  
It all depends on the complexity of the deck and what your welding/fab skills are like. A lot of decks have the spindles recessed somewhat (which holds moisture and debris and is brobabally the cause of your problem). If you cut out bigger than that and then weld a flat plat on, that spindle will be higher than the rest.

I have repaired one deck with a recessed spindle. We cut a quarter inch "doughnut" (for lack of a better word) and welded it to the bottom. We didn't cut anything out. Then we used what was left of the existing holes as guides to drill new holes to locate the spindle correctly. We used 1/4" plate so longer bolts may be required. By welding to the bottom, the spindle height remained the same.

If this sounds doable to you and you are a decient welder, give it a shot.

/ Welding on a mower deck? #3  
Is it ok to rebuild my mower deck?
It is rusted out where a pulley is, I would cut the weld out and put in a new plate and re weld the pulley on.
Is this safe, would you guys do this.
Lickity Split

My guess is, if you know how to weld, you understand the issues involved. Strong enough material to handle the forces, gotta cut away enough rust to get to good wedling metal, etc.

Git-er-done!

/ Welding on a mower deck? #5  
Welded patches on my 20+ year old Cub Cadet deck twice and wouldn't hesitate in doing it again if it needed it in another area. Also re-welded one of the baffles that broke on the underside.

kj

/ Welding on a mower deck? #6  
Don't have your circuit go through a bearing.

/ Welding on a mower deck? #7  
Just had a doubler welded om my RFM. It is mowing great :thumbsup: