Welding question

/ Welding question #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Beam.jpg

Need some help from the welding gurus - how do you suggest I join these two together.

The beam is a 3" I beam, and it has to come in at an angle. I don't really have a wedge so I was looking for any ideas. I am not a great welder, but can get stuff to always hold together. This is a land plane and this is the support that runs back from the top link bracket to tie it into the rear of the plane. I am using the I beam for 2 reason. One cause I have it and is free, and the second is I want to add some extra weight in the center and figure this would help a bit.

/ Welding question #2  
View attachment 502934

Need some help from the welding gurus - how do you suggest I join these two together.

The beam is a 3" I beam, and it has to come in at an angle. I don't really have a wedge so I was looking for any ideas. I am not a great welder, but can get stuff to always hold together. This is a land plane and this is the support that runs back from the top link bracket to tie it into the rear of the plane. I am using the I beam for 2 reason. One cause I have it and is free, and the second is I want to add some extra weight in the center and figure this would help a bit.

Notch out a little in the channel so the I beam goes down some and for added support, add a vertical 1/2 x 3 up the back side. Ken Sweet

/ Welding question #3  
One simple way - cut the tacks on the upper short piece of channel, slip it either forward or back just enough for the sides of the channel(s) to NOT line up perfectly (but be weldable slightly offset) - then clamp that upper channel to your I beam with 100% contact, tack everything and weld it out... - the two edges of the upper channel will have differing amount of overlap with the lower channel edges, but it doesn't matter... Steve

/ Welding question #5  
One simple way - cut the tacks on the upper short piece of channel, slip it either forward or back just enough for the sides of the channel(s) to NOT line up perfectly (but be weldable slightly offset) - then clamp that upper channel to your I beam with 100% contact, tack everything and weld it out... - the two edges of the upper channel will have differing amount of overlap with the lower channel edges, but it doesn't matter... Steve

It would probably be stronger overall this way than with the two channels lip-to-lip like they are in the picture. Good idea.

Rob

/ Welding question #6  
It would probably be stronger overall this way than with the two channels lip-to-lip like they are in the picture. Good idea.

Rob

I like this idea too. Easy and strong , but I'd be tempted to do it Ron's (Tractor Seabee's) way.

/ Welding question #7  
Could you not, untack the piece that the I beam sits on and raise it ( from the inside ) to the angle needed and weld a plate there and re weld the outer section.

/ Welding question #8  
I also like Steve's idea, but it looks like the two channels have already been welded, not just tacked, right?

If that's the case, I'd weld it up just like you've shown it, using multiple passes to fill the gap if needs be.:shocked: No, that's not good practice from an engineering or code standpoint, but for an implement it's probably more than strong enough. If it ends up breaking, it wouldn't take much to grind it back out and use one of the more "proper" suggestions above.:2cents:

/ Welding question #9  
If the channels are already welded than Ron's suggestion would make more sense.

Rob

/ Welding question #10  
All good structural suggestions, but I like Ken's suggestion as probably the easiest. Give it some support on the raised side, and maybe close the gaps like RNG suggested.