Well… that was stupid…

/ Well… that was stupid… #1  

S854

Silver Member
Tractor
‘67 MF 135 Deluxe / ‘22 Kioti CK2610 HST/Bad Boy ZT Elite 54”
I recently retired from a rewarding driving career… the most memorable being the last 25 years as a mixer jockey (concrete truck driver)…

Getting ready for retirement I spent considerable time researching “How not to get bored”… especially during the typically frigid Montana winters (not necessarily this year)… one suggestion i found, which stuck in my head, was to become “ruthlessly organized”… I jumped in with both feet, purchasing numerous black-and-yellow totes for all the random stuff in the garage… I wanted to get that stuff off my workbench/waist-level shelves/floor… I also purchased lumber to make shelves for the wasted space over my garage door…

so far so good, eh? well here comes STUPID…

As I was ripping a 2x4 on my somewhat antiquated table saw (read no safety guards whatsoever … you can see where this is going…) I managed, somehow, to get a finger where it didn’t belong… Julie was kind enough to drive me to the ER as I tried my best to keep from fainting…

Fast forward to the next day, in the surgical center, where the doc was hoping to reattach the severed tendon and nerves… and my luck continued to deteriorate… the damage was so extensive, I had the choice of a rigid, basically useless finger with no sensation or amputation… what a choice…

Getting back into the garage today, to begin cleaning up the mess I so abruptly left behind two days ago, I was greeted by the Ryobi… which, in my mind, had taken on a cartoonish, evil grin… two days ago I had already decided to sell the offending contraption… then, as I looked at my bandaged hand and contemplated life with a “stump”, I had an epiphany… I couldn’t, in good conscious, place Another DIY’er in harms way… it was past time for Ryobi’s retirement…

I’ve already come to the realization the table saw is just an inanimate object performing exactly as it was designed…that it was my own irresponsible behavior which caused my plight…

once things are healed, I’ll spend considerable, quality time in my garage… this time, disassembling the saw… nut-by-nut, bolt-by-bolt until it’s a harmless pile of recyclable pieces… unable to inflict any more damage…

…I might even get some resolution out of my stupidity…

Last edited:
   / Well… that was stupid… #2  
I share the shame of learning most lessons the hard way.

/ Well… that was stupid… #3  
Sorry to hear about your accident. You could also resolve yourself to learning the safe operation of the tool?

/ Well… that was stupid… #4  
Glad you'll live to fight another day, despite the setback!

My last table saw accident was when it grabbed a thin piece of waste material along the fence and launched it through a cardboard box about 10 feet away.

Can't say enough about keeping all guards in place, blade adjusted at the proper height, proper support for materials, and always using push-sticks, push-blocks, feather-boards, etc. Things can go WRONG in a hurry.

/ Well… that was stupid… #5  
For me anyway when a tool or pos equipment wrongs me cuz of my irresponsible cobblery or continued repair attempts to no avail, I usually gratifyingly at the time destroy it with a sledge hammer, large beating device, fire, occasionally have used my tractor loader and more recently my mini x. Lol in any case I feel for you.

/ Well… that was stupid… #6  
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

If your interested in safer type of saw there is a brand of table saw called "SawStop" when it detects a something like a finger it immediately stops the blade by slamming an aluminum block into the blade. I think it senses something conductive and the blade is destroyed. Not cheap, but then again, what is a finger worth?

/ Well… that was stupid… #7  
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

If your interested in safer type of saw there is a brand of table saw called "SawStop" when it detects a something like a finger it immediately stops the blade by slamming an aluminum block into the blade. I think it senses something conductive and the blade is destroyed. Not cheap, but then again, what is a finger worth?

It's also a one-time use on that saw. They demonstrate it by sticking a hot dog into the blade and it STOPS immediately without cutting the hot dog. But the motor and mechanism has to be replaced.

/ Well… that was stupid… #8  
Wow the motor too! I thought it was just the blade.

/ Well… that was stupid…
I don’t do a lot of woodworking… just small things around the house…

Right now the plan is to see what’s possible with my circular saw/demolition saw/jig saw… lots of good ideas available for: “do i really need a table saw”?

/ Well… that was stupid… #10  
For me anyway when a tool or pos equipment wrongs me cuz of my irresponsible cobblery or continued repair attempts to no avail, I usually gratifyingly at the time destroy it with a sledge hammer, large beating device, fire, occasionally have used my tractor loader and more recently my mini x. Lol in any case I feel for you.

I'm really struggling to understand how this is an appropriate response . . . Especially if it's your fault . . . You just beat it to pieces with a sledge hammer? Hope you're not teaching this approach to others or impressionable youngsters . . .

Everyone deals with it in their own way, I guess.