Well CR4P!!

/ Well CR4P!! #1  

MikeA57

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1510
Re-decking my trailer and it's 76" wide. So after careful calculations I came to the conclusion that I needed (7) 2 X 10s and (1) 2 X 12.

According to my calculations and the dimensions of lumber this is how I arrived at what I needed:

7 * 9.25 = 64.75
1 * 11.25 = 11.25
summed = 76

When I put the boards in this evening this is what I came up with after putting in 7 of them. There is no way the last 2 X 10 is going in that slot.

Only thing I can figure is I've had them laid out outside for the last week putting a motor oil/diesel mixture on them. It rained a couple of days and they must've swelled. At this point the only thing I can think to do is go get a 2 X 8 and put it in. Once they dry out some and contract I'll remove it and put the remaining 2 X 10 in. The problem is I need the trailer tomorrow for a hay ride so I don't dare leave it open. The opening that is left open though is 8 1/2" so it's going to be loose anyway but it'll work.

Attachments

• IMG-20111028-00167.jpg
    IMG-20111028-00167.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 375
   / Well CR4P!! #2  
pull the 2x12 out, go get another 2x10, put 1/4" gap between each board for expansion and contraction with temp changes and call her good

/ Well CR4P!! #3  
Rip the remaining board to fit on a table saw, or even using a circ saw. Most trailer decks I have seen have one board ripped to fit.

/ Well CR4P!! #5  
A good table saw is a great thing to own. If you were here I fix it up for you in 5 minutes from start to finish. But you can rip a board with a circular saw pretty nicely expecially if you use a saw guide, or If you are very good at following a chalk line you can even do it like that. Good luck.

James K0UA

/ Well CR4P!! #6  
Rip the remaining board to fit on a table saw, or even using a circ saw. Most trailer decks I have seen have one board ripped to fit.

Yeah, just rip the last board and your good ! :thumbsup: I rip long boards like that using a couple of saw horses and a woodworkers clamp and then my trusty old circular saw. Works every time. :D Just make sure you got a good sharp blade on it and take your time and it will go through it pretty easy.

Oh, by the way, that's a nice looking new deck you got going on there.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Well CR4P!! #7  
I used 2x8's when I redecked my trailer last year. I let them dry out for a few weeks, then I put installed them as close as possible for very small gaps. That way, I can haul dirt without losing too much through the cracks. I did wind up having to rip one board down to about 3" wide to fit the last little bit. I used a regular skil saw, but I screwed a board onto it to give me a guide, so the cut was pretty straight.

/ Well CR4P!!
Well, I went ahead and removed the 2 X 12 and bought another 2 X 10. It was a tight fit but after coaxing it in there it fit Guten-tite. I could've ripped the 2 X 12 but my table saw (which is attached to one end of an 8' work table) was behind a DOA 4 wheeler and a bunch of other junk and I was on a really tight time schedule to get it done. That just seemed to be the quickest option at that point. Got 'er done, loaded the tractor and I was on my way. Now, I just have to get the brakes looked at closer and get a coat of oil on the topside of the boards.

/ Well CR4P!! #9  
I just re floored my utility trailer and had the same problem. I wound up ripping the last board for a snug fit. I measured everything perfectly just like you did, but I suppose it is trying to put the dirt back in a hole you just dug. It won't go. Same for floor boards.

/ Well CR4P!! #10  
Good thread... I have to re-deck my trailer at some point. The wood is cupping and splitting as it is always sitting over a grass/moisture area. I should really find an area and take the grass/top soil off, lay plastic and a layer of gravel to prevent this from happening again.