Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile....

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
...to realize that I am actually retired and don't have to rush to finish a project. I was thinking, on the last nite I worked, about how we have "muscle memory" from doing a repeated task. We don't really even have to think about it to perform it. I got to wondering if we have "work memory" from going to the same place over long years. I keep thinking my week off will be over Friday and I go back for another 7 days...lol Not happening. I think it will take at least 3 or 4 weeks to "retrain my brain". I wonder how many times I will leave the driveway and head the wrong way toward work... lol :confused2:

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #2  
everyday is a weekend day. 6 Saturdays and a Sunday.

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #3  
CONGRATS!!!

Seems the biggest issue I see is finding “room” for the retiree and the spouse. Be conscious of that and as they say ...you will be happy!

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #4  
Having been “retired” from a paying job for some years, but being asked to do more and more, I have learned the real definition of retired. “Longer hours, lower pay and no days off” learn to say no! I’m not having much luck with that

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #5  
Welcome to the vast ranks of the unemployed!
You may soon find you have a very strict boss - YOU!

Now get in some seat time!

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #6  
I worked as a self employed carpenter/remodeling contractor until I turned 70.
And retired in 2013. The toughest part of the process was learning to ‘say no’ especially to callers who had been long time repete customers.
After working all those years, the reward is dancing to your own drummer and putting your projects first.

To the younger members here on TBN, work hard and save your money when you get to 75 you’ll be glad you did.
B. John

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #7  
It took me a couple of years to learn not to wake up a 5 am and get ready to go to work. Although I didn't have paid work to go to, I did have multiple projects to do. Prior to retirement, I started making a list of all the jobs on the new place that I needed to do. It took about a year to get thru the list and I even deleted a few of the items after assessing the real need. It did all get done that needed done and now after 8 years, it is just maintenance issues to take care of and they don't ever get finished.
The little things do give me something to do most every day so that is a good thing. Checking TBN daily is one of the things I do prior to going out to work on the outside things.

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #8  
Been retired for 12 years now and I still miss the old job on occasion. Sleep and awake times have never changed.

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #9  
Been retired for 12 years now and I still miss the old job on occasion. Sleep and awake times have never changed.
It took a while for me to change my sleep pattern. I used to go to bed at 9 or 10 pm and get up at 5am. Now I still go to bed at around 9pm but I can sleep till 6 or even 7 am if I want to unless the dog has other ideas. My German Shepherd usually thinks I need to get up at 5:30 and comes in for some ear scratching most mornings about that time, but he will go away after a little scratching, then come back at 6:30 kinda like a snooze alarm.

/ Well, I made it! But, it is going to take quite awhile.... #10  
It took a while for me to change my sleep pattern. I used to go to bed at 9 or 10 pm and get up at 5am. Now I still go to bed at around 9pm but I can sleep till 6 or even 7 am if I want to unless the dog has other ideas. My German Shepherd usually thinks I need to get up at 5:30 and comes in for some ear scratching most mornings about that time, but he will go away after a little scratching, then come back at 6:30 kinda like a snooze alarm.

Haha. Gotta love snooze-button dogs.