Well it was my turn to break something

/ Well it was my turn to break something #1  

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
This past week I moved more than 100 tons delievred weight of back fill into and out of the pole barn & around the area. dug out probably 300 ton more of material & moved it doing rain run off control & landscaping. I put some 30 hrs on her meter this past week most of it in lower gears dragging, pushing & pulling her to the limits and finally beyond.

I was running in 4 whll drive much of the time as I was using the box blade to move soil from the high side to the low side, watching over my sholder most of the time & controlling the 3pt with hand 1 and steering with other. I didn't pay close ehough watch to the FEL which droops more than it should when HOT and she was hot for sure most of the week running right at the 90~95C mark and hyd system would burn ya just about anyplace. needless to say I was really working that little tractor.

anyhow when the FEL drooped it dug in and the front wheels and rears were driving full steam the right front (which is one that broke dug in and the tire got the best grip of the 4 and it sheared the axeldriving shaft (final drive shaft) not a hard part to replace, but I pulled the hole hub off as the sheared stub sort of mushroomed and I couldn't get it out easy enough in the HOT sun. so I dropped the hole hub assy and too it into the bench so I could use the vice to hold the driven gear so I could drive the stub through it and let the hub drop off then.

well she is appart and now I need a replacement Driven Shaft Final Drive (this is a small hardened shaft which has the tire/HUB on one end and a splined end on the other side which hooks into the final driven gear.)

Nothing else seemeb BAd (but I need some gaskets at least AND am checking on pricing now from a couple members here.) I'm hoping someone has the needed parts in stock. seems a week point after examining the parts now. not to mention a silly design ut it still functions (not my broken one of corse :eek: )
anyhow I didn't have camera today but will snap some after getting the Needed parts hopefully by next week.

mark M

/ Well it was my turn to break something #2  
We have all the parts in stock,please call Jerry if you would like to order them

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Well it was my turn to break something #3  
Spiker, it wasn't much of a mystery reading the title and then the first sentence. ;) Sounds like you have a good handle on the repair, and parts are available. I look forward for the pictures.

/ Well it was my turn to break something
John: yep I did it ;) now I gotta UN-do it. I'll remember to take the camera out there and snap some shots & right up a bit of info. I'm waiting to hear back with pricing info from Jerry over at Affordable where Tommy works. I sent some PMs out to the local TBN dealers for pricing so far looks like its gonna cost me a 150 ~ 200 for parts & delivery, not to mention down time. :(

thats what happenes when ya get in a hurry though. it was a BAD day all in all, we took our dog of 14 yrs to have her checked out & ended up putting her down. Black Lab mix & she started having seizers last week, and they got much worse & closer together on monday she had 5~6 of them where she was going pretty bad. she lost her hearing over a year ago and now her eyesight was about gone along with her ability to move around. so I had to burry her prior to the breakage, and quite possably what may have started the breakage problem as it appeared to ahve been partly sheared prior to the final destruction. I had used the FEL to clear off the weeds & top soil down to 6" or so in several passes to where it was just too much rock & compacted clay mix for the FEL to do anything to it. so I had to use the spud bar to break up the mix & hand shuvel out the next few cubic feet of mix. I think this is where I actually did the most damage to the axel/hub driving shaft. pushing & lifting to remove the compacted soil & rock mix.
the dog was my womans and she was there with me when it broke, and when I put Tazzy to rest. I didn't really dig in much when it sheared off but the movement forces were probably pretty high. the soil I dug into was back fill, rolled by my yard roller (24" x 48" pull behind type filled with water) so it wasn't heavly compacted at all. I ran a 40" or so path 2~3" deep into the lightly compacted dry dirt on the right side (side that sheared off) and only one side not a full buck width (think swale edge as I was turning the bucket edge dug into the built up swale.)

anyhow it will be next weekend till I get any parts anyhow and pricing info is still waiting to hear about... SO I guess we are giong to go see a movie & do some shopping as I got a 15% off coupone at HF and need to see if there is anything I want/need there.

I'll be back later tonight to get back on here and have to go back to working nights at 11 PM tonight :(

Mark M

/ Well it was my turn to break something #5  
Mark, sorry for your loss. We are dog lovers here and know the pain of putting one down. Unfortunatly, I also have experience in building a dog grave site with Jinma equipment. I did use the hoe though, and didn't make that day any worse with break-downs.

Anyway, hope your tractor is back up and going soon. It has been a wet summer here. Great for somethings, but having trouble getting some low-lying fields mowed. Soon enough, will be worried about frost and the coming snow!

/ Well it was my turn to break something #6  
Spiker, what tractor do you have? What year and how many hours?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Country:

I have a 284 JINMA 28 hp 4 wheel drive. with FEL Back Hoe and many other items. I could have or rather should have put the backhoe onto the tractor for dirt as hard as the area was, but wasn't thinking very smartly. or at least took the tiller up there and roto tilled the hard packed clay/rock to soften it up.. JOHN we been in a drought ond only had a few inches of rain for last 2 months. garden terriable as well as grass is all dead and lots of my planted trees are croaking too.. :( I been water as best as I can. last night was first good rain we had in 6 weeks, bad weather in ohio this year, rained very heavy flooded everything when the wheat was ready to come off ruined a lot of that and flooded as it was almost 5" of rain over a few hr period. then it stopped and hasn't rained untill last night/yesterday. only a shower but will help the maters ;)

anyhow I have 22 acres of land with a 30' deep ravine cutting through center of the land. all of it is on gental sloped land. 50% is wooded rest is planted in sugar maple & pine. or is yard. the 28 hp is OK for my needs as I've skidded some good sized logs and it is small enough to manuver inside a 40x50 barn missing the poasts on 10' centers turning inside the barn with a 6' box blade and a FEL on. hope that helps

mark M

Hi All:

I didn't remember to take the camera along to put the tractor back together with photos, but it was simple and straight forward. There was/is a post on John S's site in regards to the procedure so adding one wasn't required as the one that is there is very well written. It also said that a press was required for assembly and it sure was! the half moon locking clips (called a washer in the diagram) was rather easy to put IN but getting the gear PRESSED over them was pretty difficult. I used the press at work which is a HEAVY duty electric powered unit probably 40+ ton and it seemed to grunt a bit. I coated every thing liberly with grease when assembeling it. also used a lot of grease between the seals & bearings & splined parts.

I ended up putting every thing back together and torquing all the bolts (M10) to 30 ft lbs, and torqued the tire/rim studs in to 65 ft lbs. On johns site it had 90-100 ft lbs which was way high in my oppinion. a standard high speed steel car rim usually is no more than 80 ft lbs. but the back wheels are much larger bolts and I could see torquing them that high.

after re-assembly I added some 80-130 gear oil, coastal which is good for soft metals. over filled it just slightly and ran her around a bit moved the rest of the 20 ton of sand I had to move and did a bit of grading. the rain has settled the ground a bit and I can easly see the low spots now. so I got some more grading to do. I been taking it easy on it just in case, but so far no leaks and works great.

thanks to TOMMY & Jerry at AFFORTABLE for getting me the parts & resending the "damaged in shipping" seal out fast.

Mark M

Found a new problem (probably a result of the tire comming off & dropping the tractor to the ground with a thud.) My center fuel line began leaking, (I didn't notice it dirrectly after re-assembly) but after running it for about 30 min, I noticed a small miss & overall lack of good power, so I started inspecting, found a small fuel drip on the center fuel line up top near the injector, it dripped down behind the fuel injector where mine has always been wet/damp from fuel or oil, nothing that really leaked enough to drip but kept the grime moist mostly. but now the leak was pretty bad, 1 drip a sec or so. I tried tightening it & looseneing & re-tighteneing along and afterwards a removal for cleaning & Inspection & cleaned up the metal to metal seal (groves in the line.) I never saw the crack untill I got the line in the shop & was spraying brake cleaner through/into the line and saw it squirt out of the lines side just even with the back of the line's nut. I know that brazing won't hold it permataly so I called & ordered a new line from Affordable & chatted with Jerry there. anyhow I DID braze up the old line to see if I can run it a bit wile waiting for the new line to arrive. though I'm not even going to install the line untill I'm off this weekend, and will more than likely have the replacement by then so the new one will go on if it is here for sure...

No need to keep re-bleeding that fuel system ;)

mark M