Well, it's done!

/ Well, it's done! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
My mother finally passed away at 92 and we buried her today. She was doing very well for that age and no real health problems but, her organs were just worn out the doc said. They started failing and she went downhill very fast over about two weeks until she slept all the time. She still had a few elderly friends that are alive and they came to the funeral and of course all the family and grand-kids and great grand-kids. It was an old fashion funeral with open casket and such. I don't care for open casket but it's what she wanted. I was one of the pall bearers and I never knew just how heavy those caskets are (she only weighed about 120 lbs). I asked one of the funeral directors if anyone had ever tripped and dropped one, she said no...but almost. The preacher did a most excellent job. It's me and my two sisters left and I am glad this thing was over, just wore me slap out. There is one thing you can be sure of at a funeral....the women folk will yap your ears off...completely. I took my hearing aid out and slipped it in my pocket after I had enough of that. :confused2: She told me awhile back that she had never been depressed a day in her long life. That is something right there for someone raised in the great depression and much more. Her first husband just up and left her with two small children (my sisters). Didn't say anything, just went to work and didn't come back and emptied their bank account. Back then (around 1948 or '50), he could move to another state and not have to pay child support....so that's what he did. I asked her when she realized he had left and would not come back and she said after a couple of days. Very hard times on a secretary salary with two kids...but she made it work (no welfare then). Then she married my father, a ww2 vet that had joined the army at 16, lied about age, and went through some hard tough stuff that he would not really talk about. He worked for the old GM&O rail road. She said he would come home sometimes and sit at the table with his head in his hands and repeat over and over, "I can't do this". PTSD for sure. He eventually settled down and they lived a good life and had me. She said she never had depression even after all this, just amazing woman. I'm the baby at 62 and just retired..lol I like to read stories of how the folks did things back in the great depression and war and everything going on. What did they do/how did they survive/how tough things were? That generation was tough as He**!

/ Well, it's done! #2  
I知 sorry for your loss. Sounds like an amazing woman you had for a mother.

/ Well, it's done! #3  
Thank you for sharing. She sounds like an amazing woman. That definitely was the greatest generation!

My father was essentially bed-ridden for the last eight months of his life, due to incapacitating back pain. I swear, I was more depressed on his behalf than he was. We replaced his couch with a hospital bed, and we replaced his recliner with a geriatric version that practically stood up on his behalf, and that was his life. He always said "please" and "thank you," even when I had to wake him up in the middle of the night for meds. The only thing that seemed to bother him was taking a dump in the portable toilet by his bed. He apologized to me every time he used it.

And of course, that's after growing up in the depression and serving in WWII. That generation could take a turd sandwich and make it into something great. My life has been so soft and privileged in comparison.

/ Well, it's done!
Thank you. I am just amazed every-time I get someone old to talk about their life and days of old. So interesting. When I was a kid, I could get old timers way back then to talk about ww1 and so much.

/ Well, it's done!
"And of course, that's after growing up in the depression and serving in WWII. That generation could take a turd sandwich and make it into something great. My life has been so soft and privileged in comparison"

Well put!

/ Well, it's done! #7  
Sorry to hear about your mother. She sounded like a great woman.

/ Well, it's done! #8  
Special thoughts/prayers for your mother.

/ Well, it's done! #9  
Sorry for your lost. Thank you for your mother's life story. She was a fine woman.

/ Well, it's done! #10  
Sounds like you were blessed indeed to have your mom. I totally agree that your parents were in the best generation. It pains me greatly to see, hear, read about, etc., all of the whining, carping, complaining, etc. these days from individuals who have never really had anything tough like your parents did. Anyway, condolences for your loss, and may you and your family forever hold dear the many fond memories you all no doubt have of your mom.