Well, it's that time of the year again.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #21  
Our wildfire season started with a real bang. There are several going - right now - in EA WA state. I have a big one going just a mile east of me. The prevailing winds are keeping the smoke and fire away from me on this one. Two large, long lakes are keeping this fire from coming my way. No injuries but one fire truck and a few buildings - burned up. Williams Lk Road wildfire.

The huge fire retardant DC-10 was ROARING over and around my house - all day Wed and Thurs. As of last night they are saying this fire is 10% contained. I'm sure the firefighter appreciate this cooler weather and subsided winds. Last night - estimated to be 1000+ acres. Downgraded from the original 3200 acre estimate.

62ec28d376496.image.jpg

Last edited:
   / Well, it's that time of the year again. #22  
Friend called last week to borrow fencing tools. Fire fighters had to go through his fence to reach a fire on neighboring land. Been high 90s to 100+ for weeks without rain and lightning struck a powerline pole setting grass on fire. I saw 9 new burned spots along side of 15 mile stretch of road I travel twice a week. The fact all were on same side makes me believe they were intentional rather than careless or accidental. Fortunately none reached timber or high weeds. Very little corn is being harvested ,most is rolled for hay.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again.
Stay safe out there guys. I see the news about some of these fires in the US and those things are no joke at all.

Over here, things are somewhat calmer as the temps also went down quite a bit.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #25  
About the only situation that could be better - rain. Lots of it. It was 43F and no wind earlier this AM. I found a better drawing of the Williams Lk Rd wildfire. The red line - I drew in - to the left of the name "Badger Lk" is the driveway into my property. They are still fighting this fire and haven't figured out what caused it.
62ec5efe8fad5.hires.png

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #26  
Friend called last week to borrow fencing tools. Fire fighters had to go through his fence to reach a fire on neighboring land. Been high 90s to 100+ for weeks without rain and lightning struck a powerline pole setting grass on fire. I saw 9 new burned spots along side of 15 mile stretch of road I travel twice a week. The fact all were on same side makes me believe they were intentional rather than careless or accidental. Fortunately none reached timber or high weeds. Very little corn is being harvested ,most is rolled for hay.
I hope that it isn't intentional, though we have had problems with arsonists as long as we have been in the countryside. It is a disease. It happens to be something that I think should probably require lifetime ankle monitoring or institutionalization, but it isn't going to happen.

We had something similar happen once, and the fire investigators said it look like an old catalytic converters had been dropping hot catalyst pellets. Then again, someone pulling a trailer with a blown out tire that is scraping on the rim can do something similar, too. That happened along our county road once

All the best,

Peter

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #27  
About the only situation that could be better - rain. Lots of it. It was 43F and no wind earlier this AM. I found a better drawing of the Williams Lk Rd wildfire. The red line - I drew in - to the left of the name "Badger Lk" is the driveway into my property. They are still fighting this fire and haven't figured out what caused it.
View attachment 757120
Yikes, that is close! Stay safe out there. You must be a busy bee watering the house and cleaning gutters, just in case.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #28  
A dragging safety chain for a trailer will produce the type of spot fires which you describe. I didn't realize that until I helped put out a couple of minor spot fires along the road this spring.
I've also seen it when somebody lost a wheel going up the interstate. Several people were out putting out grass fires. I was on the other side of the highway so didn't stop.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #29  
ponytug Yes, I have a boogey bag and can go at a moments notice. Actually - I'm in a very protected location. The summer winds come out of the SW. In that direction I have a VERY large lake that's worlds better than any cultivated fire break. It has stopped wildfires twice before. Stopped them dead in their tracks.

People out this way are pretty careful about fires this time of year. It will be interesting to hear what started the Williams Lk Road wildfire. Mother Nature and her lightning is the culprit many times.