well question

/ well question #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all, i have a deep fast well at the house, but i want to eventually be able to hook up a hand pump to it. What size galvanized pipe (the plastic will freeze and break up in the winter) do i need to start buying. Is it a standard size or is every pump head different. I thought i heard that 1 1/4 inch galvanized pipe was the standard but i cant remember for sure.
thanks
Forgeblast

/ well question #2  
How deep is the well? Do you get water out of the well now, if so how?

Ron

/ well question #3  
forgblast
Any pipe full of water will freeze and split/brake you need a hand pump that will self drain and the pump cylinder is below frost lin.

Again how deep
the other Question is what is a fast well that is a new one to me

is there a submersable pump inthe well now?

[Edit] I looked up were you are and you are about the same longitude as my other place and frost line is 3 to 4 feet

tommu56

Last edited:
   / well question
Im not sure how deep, i am going to call the guy who put it in, (we bought the house with it there). Yes there is a submersible there now, its how we get our house water.
Fast because when we went to do the house test it came up with some nastys in the water (bio), they tried to clorine it out and the water was moving to fast to keep it in there to kill them, we now have a uv light on our inlet water line.
i have been looking for frost free pump heads and came across one i will post link later.

/ well question #6  
Hand pump? why? to save electricity? sounds like you have a well that is supplying the house and what you're asking about is a yard hydrant that looks like a hand pump but is really just a valve and self draining?

/ well question #7  
if you want a yard hydrant you can drill the top of the pittless adaptor and put one on there and it sill self drain down in well when closed.

tommu56

/ well question
jrobyn thanks for the site it has a lot.

I want a hand pump for "just in case". I took stock of what we have and a major concern of mine is fresh water. my neighbor has a pond, very small and you wouldnt pay me to drink from it. I figured since i have the well near my house i might as well, start saving up and buying pieces that i can afford now while the price of metal doesnt require a third mortgage.
The wife and I did a five year and 10 year plan of where we want to be with what emergency supplies we would like to have in place. Since we are coming up to 5 years in the house i thought i would start working on some of the 10 year items.
thanks for the help

this is the one web site i was talking about
Stainless Deep Well Water Pump FAQS @ Survival Unlimited .com
not sure how duriable it will be.

/ well question #9  
forgeblast

That pump will freeze in the winter if it stays full of water you might be better off with a generator to run existing pump .

tommu56

/ well question #10  
If I'm understanding you correctly you wish to run two tubing strings in one casing??

If that is correct the strings must be sized so they both fit in the casing.

Will the standby hand pump just be for filling pails of water at the pump? If so a small hole drilled in the tubing below the frost line should drain water so the pump does not freeze. That is if you are using sucker rods and have the pump landed deeper in the well.

I'd have a tendency to go for a generator backup for the submersible.:D :D