Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm?

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm? #1  

SanDucerro

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S
So... Bought a new truck in January of this year. It's a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Dual Cab Dually 4x4 with the 8 foot bed. LOVE the truck, except for one itsy bitsy detail - it's white.

Now, don't get me wrong - I really like white trucks and mine looks fantastic. However, white also seems to be the preferred restroom color for every horsefly in the county. They absolutely LOVE to drop a load on my clean white truck every chance they get - for that matter, they also love to take a dump when the truck is dirty as well. The smaller Dodge 1500 short and wide that sits next to the big white tour bus isn't getting the same love from our horsefly contingent, but then again the 1500 is red - as is the Ford Edge that sits under the car port. When the wife's dark silver (MGM) Pontiac G8 GT is here it's also ignored. So I'm left with little other choice than to conclude the white color of the big 3500 is attracting the flies.

Since I take pride in having a good looking vehicle, this is a serious issue (well - to me at any rate) - so much so that I'm thinking of trading in the truck just to change colors. Washing often isn't helping (who has time for that), and if I wait any time at all I'm having to compound the black spots off the truck - and that's no small task considering the truck's sheer size. With this in mind, are there any other colors to avoid? It seems the dark colors are ok, but what's everyone experience with say...light silver.

BTW - I don't have this problem "in the city", it's just at the farm where the flies are rather thick...

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm? #2  
Light silver also attracts them. Have you ever thought of turning your truck int an XL bug zapper?

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm? #3  
It's a Dodge, so it must smell like crap! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I had one white truck, a 2004 F250, and never remember this being a issue.

Are you sure it's the flys? There is a mulch mold that grows on adjacent surfaces that leaves black spots behind.

Chris

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm? #4  

I had one white truck, a 2004 F250, and never remember this being a issue.

Are you sure it's the flys? There is a mulch mold that grows on adjacent surfaces that leaves black spots behind.

Chris
Ask a Ford owner if he has a problem with fly sh*t on that white truck....maybe it's not the color....jut sayin. I have never heard of such a problem. We have horse flys here, maybe a different species.......

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm? #5  
My white F350 (now my wife's) is also a magnet for the fly turds. I've always just washed it and never worried about any left over spots. Its a truck, not a trailer queen. :D

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm? #6  
It would be cheaper to build a garage than trade that truck, and a lot less time washing and compounding any color. :laughing:

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm? #7  
Paint it a Pewter Gray color, dirt doesn't show too much on that color.

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm? #8  
Maybe a cover??? Cheaper than trading or a building, and less time consuming than washing.

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm?

Chris
Positive, they're all over it anytime I go out.

Ask a Ford owner if he has a problem with fly sh*t on that white truck....maybe it's not the color....jut sayin. I have never heard of such a problem. We have horse flys here, maybe a different species.......
See quote below...
My white F350 (now my wife's) is also a magnet for the fly turds. I've always just washed it and never worried about any left over spots. Its a truck, not a trailer queen. :D
I don't mind the truck being dirty - after all - it IS a work truck. But I traded a pristine Corvette in on this truck and I assure you it WAS a garage queen, so I'm having a bit of a problem with the transition. As I mentioned, I like a clean truck.

Already have the wife's OK to trade, just wishing I could still buy a new 2012... I think I'll order this next one so I can some additional options I want, but didn't necessarily need...

/ Well that's a Horse(fly) of a different color.. Are White trucks a no-no on the farm? #10  

The OP said it was a MY2012, Dodge didn't make a truck in 2012, they got out of the truck business starting with MY2009.

My nice orange Kubotas attack bees and dragonflies.