Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #11  
Sixth; get yourself an old fashion pipe wrench and cheater pipe to "unscrewuch"the auger when it catch's a root and screw's itself into the ground. :cry:
7. Disengage PTO and use said pipe wrench to turn the PTO shaft, not on the auger, to take advantage of gearing in PHD

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #12  
Just control your lift going down. Saves on threading the roots. We use cut up livestock panel for shear pins. Or whatever rod we find to cut into pieces. Never had to back an auger out with a pipe wrench. That's why I go down slow.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #14  
I never drill holes with out a spotter. Neverrrrrrr.
If I have a number of posts to set, I get a helper and trade off tamping and leveling. Building fence and serious repairing fence alone is a drag.

I have had to replace wood posts in line. To protect my woven wire fence, I have a half sheet of quarter inch plywood, ie 4by4 feet. I have an inch and a half by inch and a half piece screwed onto the back side of the sheet, six inches from the top, for my helper to use. It allows him to help postion the sheet against the fence so that the auger doesn't foul the fence. Works like a charm.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #15  
7. Disengage PTO and use said pipe wrench to turn the PTO shaft, not on the auger, to take advantage of gearing in PHD
I got my auger stuck last July. I shut off the tractor and used the pipe wrench with a pipe extension. That worked well but I suppose if I had access to the PTO input that would have been easier, but my PTO shaft and couplings are all covered or safety guarded. In any case if the auger gets stuck the engine MUST be shut off before getting near to any rotating parts. Just disengaging the PTO drive is not good enough. Just thinking of getting caught in rotating machinery gives me shivers.There are way too many examples of folks getting caught in rotating tractor implements.
Eric

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #16  
Post holes have become so scientifically complicated. I usually just buy mine. A guy comes from town and drops them off.

If that's working out for you, you're lucky. I tried it once. Big mistake. The guy brought mine on a truck and started dropping them off one by one. Every dang time, the thing would leave this huge dent in the ground, like a giant tree branch spearing the dirt. No thanks!

Oh, to answer one of the questions -- sometimes I move the tractor back and forth to get a neater and more vertical hole, but sometimes I don't. You kind of have to gage how much fiddling around to spend on drilling, and how much to spend on filling. If I have plenty of concrete mixed up and am setting an important post (such as to hang a big gate off of), I just let the hole be oversized and lopsided and whatever else, and just figure the bigger and less round the hole is, the stronger the installed post is going to be.

I've also used mine to dig a trench by drilling a row of holes. You know, like you used to do with a drill to create a slot in metal, before you had access to a milling machine. In this case, if you orient the tractor along the direction of the trench, you can get this hole pretty neat and deep without hitting its neighbor, and then deliberately move forward and backward to turn this hole into an extension of the trench.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #17  
Post holes have become so scientifically complicated. I usually just buy mine. A guy comes from town and drops them off.
That would be my preference. How many holes come in a bundle or on a pallet? ;)

Last edited:
   / Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #20  
Best thing for storing PHD at my house is a kids metal swing set with all the swings/other Attachments removed,also doubles as a handy place to hang chains, stuff hanging off to spray paint, practical and useful for alot of things. It was free if I hauled it off. 15 minutes and Ryobi driver and it was in the bed of the truck, had a bunch of leftover 18 in square concrete papers that makes for a secure footing underneath and keeps the ends of the swingset legs from rusting. Have had this 25 + yrs and moved it twice. Good luck on all your projects