West Coast Logging History

/ West Coast Logging History #1  

Egon

Epic Contributor

Shows a little history of West Coast Logging. Lots pictures and video of the old equipment when it was working. You will notice as the equipment becomes newer and larger the tree diameter keeps getting smaller. Aside from one very short segment the video was very interesting to me.

/ West Coast Logging History #2  
Very intersting...thaks for sharing.

/ West Coast Logging History #3  
That is a great video......thanks for sharing. We live in logging country....lots of history around us. Our town has a steam donkey.......there are lots of old growth stumps still up in the woods. I have an old drag saw....some old chains.....and a 19th century horse drawn running gear that was used to haul logs from the woods and build roads. Thanks again for sharing.......

/ West Coast Logging History #5  
I found this very interesting being from an old logging family in Australia. There are a lot of different methods used there that I have not seen here. My dad told me of yarders or haulers I think he called them that were tried here but were not really successful. There are some very big logs in the early parts of the film but as you say Egon as the machinery gets better the size of the logs gets smaller, same thing here in Oz.

/ West Coast Logging History #6  
Thanks for the link Egon. I downloaded the video and will watch it later.

A good book about BC logging is "Working in the Woods" by Ken Drushka. I bought a used copy on Amazon five years ago and still often browse through it. It is amazing to see how the size of harvested trees trees has changed.