Wet Year

/ Wet Year #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
We have had more rain this year than I can remember from previous. There have been just a couple of times I was wanting for rain. Right now I want it to stop.

It won't even dry up long enough for me to fix the road.

/ Wet Year #2  
Typical avg year for us (western pa) is 35" of rain. We are at 53 inches. We had precip of some kind every day last week. Forecast is for 3 days of precip over next 7..and it's every other day, so NOTHING is drying out.

Went to check fences in the pasture..left ruts, slid all over the hills, some of the fence posts that the deer are hitting are loose..and won't tighten as the ground is too soft.

Where the horses come in and out the dirt, mud that is, is the consistency of pudding. 8 to 10" deep.

Worked on my truck this summer..needed humidity under 60% to paint..never got below 72%. Currently it's 96%...not raining, 9 am.

/ Wet Year #3  
Yeah. It a wet year for sure. I already made a mess from where tractor is stored to driveway. Ugh. I got firewood on other plot i need to split but I'm know ill just get stuck driving there even with chains so my poor tractor is Just sitting there in garage itching to work.

/ Wet Year #4  
Yeah. It a wet year for sure. I already made a mess from where tractor is stored to driveway. Ugh. I got firewood on other plot i need to split but I'm know ill just get stuck driving there even with chains so my poor tractor is Just sitting there in garage itching to work.

I am in a similar situation here in Western MA. I believe that this is the wettest Autumn on record for MA. My subsurface springs on my property are still openly flowing surface water. -3F did not even freeze them. I had planned to rotary cut my lower open 6A's this Fall; but decided not to- at best, my R-1's would just rut the field up and at worse sink. My tractor this year has spent almost all of its time on the "driveway" moving wood.

/ Wet Year #5  
We have had more rain this year than I can remember from previous. There have been just a couple of times I was wanting for rain. Right now I want it to stop.

It won't even dry up long enough for me to fix the road.
WOW, I lived in Florida for 7 years,(PSL) and it never rained for more than 15 minutes, then, the skies would clear up, and you'd never knew it rained, unless you experienced it!. so, something must have seriously changed!. in new York, it can rain for days on end, that's normal, but then' we never get the torrential rain like in Florida..

/ Wet Year #6  
Most of the year has forced a no-wake on the lake and river. It sorta dried out for most of the farmers but we never "dried out" like it normally does in the fall. It rained all night (wish it was snow) so that will add to the groundwater. Strange year....

/ Wet Year #7  
We are approaching a record in DC and central PA. Along with all the rain, it snowed three weeks in a row in April and we had six inches in PA two weeks ago. The yard had standing water on it and it was so slippery that I pulled a hamstring while walking. I didn't get to mow about a third of my fields because they were always wet when I was available. As you head south toward MD you can see lots of fields that just never got planted because they stayed too wet.

/ Wet Year #8  
Very wet year here.

Roofers are finally coming Wednesday. They said over 90 rain days this year. Have been working Sundays to catch up.

Can't put tractor in the shed because that section of yard is a mud pit. I have been digging trenches to direct the water from hill behind and neighbor's yard to the road. Was up to axles to get snow blower from the shed.
Blower from Mud.jpg

/ Wet Year #9  
Howling- Your picture reinforces my decision to keep my NH on/near our gravel driveway. I am not surprised by the 90 rain days YTD. In the +30 years here we have never seen this much surface water here before. Loggers around here are unable to access some of their wood lots due to the saturated soil. Thanks for sharing your picture.

/ Wet Year #10  
I can't remember seeing a year this wet. We're close to setting a rainfall record here in Pa.
Some jobs I haven't been able to get done this fall because it just never dried out. I would like to be parking the tractor in the shed but afraid that I would rut up the yard to bad. So it's parked in the garage.