Whacking and Stacking

/ Whacking and Stacking #1  

Larry Caldwell

Tractor
Kubota l3130
Just to show I really do cut and split my own firewood, here are a couple pictures. The first one is maple in the pasture, plus some madrone that has been down long enough to bleach out. The second one is wood that fell off of trees in my yard during snowmageddon last December. There is oak, mimosa, maple, chain of gold, and plum. A lot of it is rounds that didn't need splitting. I stack it that way to let it air dry efficiently in the summer, then move it into the woodshed in the fall. For scale, I have a big firebox, so aim for 18" to 20" bolts.
IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

/ Whacking and Stacking #3  
Better doing it now before the ice and snow.

/ Whacking and Stacking #4  
Good wood there.

/ Whacking and Stacking #6  
In the lower picture I see moss on all sides of a couple logs. How do boy scouts know which way is north there? :LOL:

/ Whacking and Stacking
Better doing it now before the ice and snow.
I learned years ago to stack it for air circulation in the summer. One year I threw everything in a pile, and the wood on the bottom of the pile was still wet when I went to load the wood shed. It is impressive how much heat you can get out of a piece of wood if you are not boiling a bunch of water up the chimney.

/ Whacking and Stacking
In the lower picture I see moss on all sides of a couple logs. How do boy scouts know which way is north there? :LOL:
That must be an east coast thing. I was always confused when I heard that as a boy. There are places where moss only grows on one side of a tree?