What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #11  
Great looking machine and good you were able to get things sorted mechanically. That mower deck looks brand new!

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #12  
Clean machine, and even assuming USD, those parts seem quite reasonable.

Well bought, IMO.

Rgds, D.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284.
The air filter was never changed. I would guess the previous owner didn't have the proper tools or just didn't want to remove the air filter canister to replace the filter. Yes, you have to remove the whole filter cannister to open up the cap to get the old filter out. Also, I'm going to replace the u-joints on the drive shaft from the transmission to the front axle assembly...due to it is a 4WD unit. These u-joints are somewhat larger than the ones I replaced on the Mower deck drive shaft. I'm afraid these may be difficult to obtain all due to the Cub Cadet Parts don't show they are replaceable. I will remove the drive shaft over the winter months and take the u-joint to John Deere parts and see if they have the size needed. The previous owner must not have a grease gun, as he didn't grease any zerts.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #14  
Sounds like you have things well under control - and the air filter that's a standard design canister design used on most machines. It must have been pretty well clogged!

Seems like you prefer to do preventative maintenance - like the front drive shaft - why replace if its OK? Are there zerks in the U Joints - or is there a lot of play? Some of them have sealed needle bearings that should last a long time. The other option is to get the bearing replacements for the U Joints - should be a standard size.

When I started TLB shopping in 2000, I considered this same model with a BH, but very happy I went with the B21.

One might say I'm looking for trouble...ahead. Preventable maintenance is good if one can see trouble coming. In my case, one U-Joint is bad, the other end probable will be going soon. That is the case with the drive shaft for the 4WD. As luck would have it, I found the U-joints today. Now a bad price. Part No. Danna Spicer #5-170X. PTO Power Take Off 1000 series. $14.95 ea. From "denny boy. DANA SPICER 5-17X PTO Universal Joint 1 Series U-joint for power take off applications

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #16  
I have a cc 7260 which is a similar size tractor it has been a very good unit. About 700 hrs i beleive.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #17  
The air filter was never changed. I would guess the previous owner didn't have the proper tools or just didn't want to remove the air filter canister to replace the filter. Yes, you have to remove the whole filter cannister to open up the cap to get the old filter out. Also, I'm going to replace the u-joints on the drive shaft from the transmission to the front axle assembly...due to it is a 4WD unit. These u-joints are somewhat larger than the ones I replaced on the Mower deck drive shaft. I'm afraid these may be difficult to obtain all due to the Cub Cadet Parts don't show they are replaceable. I will remove the drive shaft over the winter months and take the u-joint to John Deere parts and see if they have the size needed. The previous owner must not have a grease gun, as he didn't grease any zerts.

"zerts" ??????

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #18  
Grease till it hurts! But watch the Zerts!

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #19  
Oh stop being jerks, and go for the zerks...

I see there are a couple members on here appear to be like the previous owner of my Cub Cadet #6284, and that they wondered what are those "little round things" sticking out on universal joints and elsewhere on shafts and motorized equipment, or they have a grease gun and don't know what it use is and don't know how to use it. The previous owner had the same problem.

WELCOME to the old work... They are know as ZERTS. Lincoln 531 Grease Zert Thread-Forming Fitting 5/16" (Pack of 15) | eBay