What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months??

/ What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months?? #91  
Electric boiler radiant heat in slabs. Costs $100 a month per 1000sq-ft of house in winter. house is larger than 1000 sq-ft
You must have some pretty cheap electricity prices to heat for that price...

/ What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months?? #92  
   / What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months?? #93  
I thought that was an accurate assessment.
Oh wait.... Does he mean $100 p/month p/1000 sqft only during Winter months? Heating costs should always be stated per year.

His cost spread over 12 months is about right.

/ What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months?? #94  
Firewood still standing in the forest here goes for about $10/ full cord - and that's if the access is easy. If you are working far from a road or with otherwise difficult access it may be worth nothing. All of the real value is what is added in the harvesting, processing, and delivery.

I'm not the most efficient firewood harvester. I do it in my own way and at my own pace. If I kept track of all of my equipment costs and billed my hours at what can can make otherwise, it would most likely not be the cheapest way to heat. I do it because I enjoy the work (well, I enjoy it other than the splitting and stacking part.) I also plan my firewood harvesting to accomplish other goals, such as improving wildlife habitat or timber value or putting in recreation trails. The logs I take out for firewood are just a byproduct of that activity. Most are not good for much else: too small or poorly formed or diseased to use for lumber, though I do occasionally harvest trees to turn into lumber or logs for construction projects (some of the structures in the obstacle course in our woods are made from logs/lumber I harvested here.)
John, let's all admit it. A large part of wood cutting is the toys and the opportunity to put them to work. ;)
I used to travel through my woods looking for good firewood prospects for managment. Now ..... well, just don't ever get a sawmill :D

/ What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months?? #95  
When we bought our 2000 sq ft of home ( including finished basement) it had a rare inside the home woodboiler that was ten yrs old and lasted 5 more years before unit rusting out . I replaced it with high efficiency propane boiler because rads and pipes already in place. We use about 400 US gallons of propane per winter ( does our domestic hotwater too, but use electric hot water heater in summer) We pay roughly $3.50 per US gallon propane here in Northern Ontario Canada. House is very well insulated. My 500 sq ft insulated garage I heat with wood all from my property, or when away use one elec heater set to 50 F . I also find propane hard on the boiler burners and spend more on maintenance of high efficiency complex boiler. So avoid turning boiler on till late in season. So I can go two years before a $700 burner cleaning etc, the odd sensors etc. If I was to do it again I would go with less efficient propane boiler that I could do maintenance on and less to go wrong. No natural gas lines close by. I still have insulated chimney up centre of house so could put a woodstove in , but they have become expensive steel boxes and house insurance effected if have wood heat again.

/ What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months?? #96  
Far as I can tell, if you want a wood stove or outside wood fired boiler, today you now have to deal with the EPA and their catalytic combuster stuff to contain particulate emissions and I've read that in some areas, wood stoves have been outlawed.

None of that happens with a biomass stove because they all meet or exceed the EPA guidelines for visible and particulate emissions and biomass stoves are carbon neutral as well (not that I care), but they are and quite a bit of pelletized fuel comes from Forestry slash and discarded wood products like old pallets and skids that would wind up on landfills.

One of my favorite companies that uses their forestry slash and excess lumber (from the trim of their flooring mills is) Somerset Hardwood Flooring in Somerset, Kentucky. What started out for them as fuel to heat their boilers and plant has become quite a value added business. Somerset hardwood pellets are sold all round the Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana and Michigan area. Even have their own fleet of delivery semi's.
The catalytic exhaust on wood burners is actually a good thing. It causes a hotter burn, so less emissions and more heat.

/ What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months?? #97  
John, let's all admit it. A large part of wood cutting is the toys and the opportunity to put them to work. ;)
I used to travel through my woods looking for good firewood prospects for managment. Now ..... well, just don't ever get a sawmill :D
I actually carry rolls of orange flag tape on my tractors and RTV. I mark trees that I see have died or going to die so when I go back in the Winter with leaves off I know which ones need removed.

/ What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months?? #98  
Three years heating (only heat the house- I don't do a lot in my garage during the heating season; anything that I do is quick work [I'm not retired, so not a lot of time anyway]):

firewood.jpg

I only put the current season's wood under cover (next year's gets covered out in the field [above picture- had not gotten cover on it yet]). Roughly 15 crates. Stacking takes nerves of steel: I'm getting better; smoothing out the access helped!
Stacked.jpg

About 1/3 cord per crate. Lasts anywhere between 8 to 12 days on average, with the first and last crates on the edges of the heating season going for several weeks (not all that cold). Grab a crate (with the Kioti) and drop it on our deck where we pull directly from (a few steps outside). Most of the wood comes from blow-down or stuff that I've selectively cleared (a tree here and there- most all within our homestead area- out on the greater property I rarely cut anything that's standing): I'm always out on the property with the dog in which case I know where ANY available firewood is. Go out and cut wood and then place crates out such that I then come along with the splitter and the split wood goes right into the crates (shuttled back via the Kioti) and I don't touch it again until I'm pulling it from a crate on the deck to go into the house.

Plans were a long time in the making: LOTS of thought.

/ What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months??
The catalytic exhaust on wood burners is actually a good thing. It causes a hotter burn, so less emissions and more heat.
They seem to have a tendency to plug up as well or at least the guys on Firewood Hoarders Forum say they do. I don't know, neither of my biomass units require one.

/ What and how do you heat your home and possibly shop during the cold winter months?? #100  
They seem to have a tendency to plug up as well or at least the guys on Firewood Hoarders Forum say they do. I don't know, neither of my biomass units require one.
The catalysts in catalytic stoves will last many years if you operate them properly. Two key points: don't burn stuff other than wood in them, and make sure the stove is up to proper operating temperature before switching in the catalyst. The single biggest reason for catalyst failure is turning it on before the stove is up to proper temperature.