What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor?

/ What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor? #1  

GWood627

Tractor
MF1643 Power Shuttle
Just looking to get an idea of maintenance costs for a Massey ferguson MF1635 new. I'd rather know upfront and be prepared then to get zinged. I had a 40" RV and filters-fluids with labor ran me about $500.00 per year. I'm no ace mechanic, or any for that matter, but do most of you guys change your own fluids and filters every year? :newhere:

/ What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor? #2  
Welcome to this site!

Proper maintenance costs, up front, prevent expensive repair costs, down the road.

If you look at the Operator Manual for that tractor, it will instruct you on engine lube, hydraulic oil, filters for engine lube, hydraulic, fuel and air service frequency required. Add to that grease for FEL pins and anything on the tractor frame that needs grease or lube (front axle for instance in the case of 4WD).

Notch in the thumb costs for a mid sized tractor, with the best maintenance care, excluding labor would be $300 per year, +/-. Double that if you have the dealer service it and add 10 percent if you need to pay to have it hauled to the dealer shop.

One aspect of maintenance is checking bolts/nuts/linkage for "stuff". Having a torque wrench to check loader frame bolts and wheel nuts is invaluable. Harbor Freight, which I am sad to recommend, has a 0-200 torque wrench for less than fifty dollars. Check your filter prices with your dealer and double check the value at Messick's | Dealer for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota, Cub Cadet and More | Online Parts, Sales & Service. and don't cheap up on the engine oil, hydraulic fluid or grease.

Auto manufacturers try to sell vehicles that need little to no maintenance but their machines have a limited life. Tractors are manufactured to REQUIRE certain reasonable and regular maintenance, but if serviced, will last a lifetime.

Your tractor's needs are in the owner's manual.

All the best.....

Last edited:
   / What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor? #3  
Just purchased a fuel shutoff solenoid. A mear $265.00.:eek:

/ What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor? #4  
Just purchased a fuel shutoff solenoid. A mear $265.00.:eek:

Hours and Years on your machine? Lets level the playing field.........

My estimate of 300 USD would give you a budget of $3,000 to play with, over a ten year span. Doing the math, your solenoid cost you 11% of your maintenance total over that period of time. If it failed earlier, that percentage rises but you gotta do what you gotta do, when it need doing.

In any case, my machinery costs are far less than my ex-wives cost, and I'll happily pay both to keep everything running smooth.

/ What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor? #5  
Depends on how much you use it as many maintenance items are based on hours, some go by hours or time whiever comes first, just too many variables to give an estimate.

We do all the maintenance on all of our tractors and do as good or better job than the dealer.

/ What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor? #6  
Depends on how much you use it as many maintenance items are based on hours

I agree. Averages are valid, assuming the OP is not tending 500 acres, which I didn't. Averages are also like exhaust pipes, everyone got one...

Frankly, I think about what a tractor will earn me, over a years time, and view maintenance as a variable cost of that. My P/L in that regard says that my equipment earns a profit, even after proper maintenance and its cost is considered.

/ What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor? #7  
As others stated it varies.
Some major things though can vary greatly depending on the quality of storage.
Hydraulic hoses and tires deteriorate in sunlight. A full set of tires for my B7610 cost about $700, a hose about $30. I expect these to go in about another five years even if they stay parked.
The big costs come in services like the 250hr service where they change a lot of fluids. Especially when they have to adjust your spark plug gap. :)

/edit http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289025&p=3434068#post3434068

reports costs of $575 for the dealer to do a routine filter and fluid on a 30hp tractor.

Last edited:
   / What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor? #8  
Filters and fluids are mostly done by hours on the meter.

I would change the engine oil and filter every year, even if you haven't reached the hours called for. Same for the fuel filter.

Air filters depend on how much dust you are operating in.

I do my own filters and fluids. I have over 1700 hours on the tractor and have never needed to take it to a dealer--yet. It could probably benefit from some injector and valve checks and so forth at this point. It seems to be using more fuel than it used to when running at high rpms. I dread the thought of having to take it for service.

/ What are typically maintenance costs for compact tractor? #9  
Hours and Years on your machine? Lets level the playing field.........

My estimate of 300 USD would give you a budget of $3,000 to play with, over a ten year span. Doing the math, your solenoid cost you 11% of your maintenance total over that period of time. If it failed earlier, that percentage rises but you gotta do what you gotta do, when it need doing.

In any case, my machinery costs are far less than my ex-wives cost, and I'll happily pay both to keep everything running smooth.

1998 with 1100 hours.:)