What are you paying for ground beef

/ What are you paying for ground beef #21  
Haven’t bought any for years. We raise our own steers.
Have you run the numbers as to how much it costs you to produce a pound of beef? Just curious. We have friends that raise beef. They said it costs more than what they pay at the store, but enjoy the activity.

/ What are you paying for ground beef #22  
I just bought some really nice 80/20 last week, $1.99 a pound.

I put some in the freezer...

SR

/ What are you paying for ground beef #23  
Have you run the numbers as to how much it costs you to produce a pound of beef? Just curious. We have friends that raise beef. They said it costs more than what they pay at the store, but enjoy the activity.
About$4/pound. But that’s all cuts: steaks and burger. And the flavor is far better. Once you taste real young steer burger in stead of supermarket burger (old dry cow burger) you understand why we raise our own.

/ What are you paying for ground beef #24  
About$4/pound. But that’s all cuts: steaks and burger. And the flavor is far better. Once you taste real young steer burger in stead of supermarket burger (old dry cow burger) you understand why we raise our own.

We have some friends that their father is basically a gentleman farmer. Usually has a couple steer he is raising for meat. That grass fed steak sure tastes a LOT different than what you get at the grocery store for sure.

/ What are you paying for ground beef #25  
I haven't bought any ground beef except the 93% lean at Sam's Club in a long time. It's currently $4.75 a pound. Their 80% lean is currently $3.44 a pound.

/ What are you paying for ground beef #26  
It might be $4/lb to raise, but then you have processing on top of that, so your cost is around 6-6.5 I suppose.

I get a free cow each year from my neighbor that runs cattle on my land. It costs me around $2.5/lb to process.

/ What are you paying for ground beef #27  
It might be $4/lb to raise, but then you have processing on top of that, so your cost is around 6-6.5 I suppose.

I get a free cow each year from my neighbor that runs cattle on my land. It costs me around $2.5/lb to process.
The last steer we processed was 2 years ago. I did figure the total cost with processing, and I think at that time it was in the $5 range. Maybe not today.

/ What are you paying for ground beef #28  
We have some friends that their father is basically a gentleman farmer. Usually has a couple steer he is raising for meat. That grass fed steak sure tastes a LOT different than what you get at the grocery store for sure.
I actually do a combination: grass fed for most of the grow out period, then beef finisher feed (grain+ vitamins + molasses) for the last three months in addition to grass hay.

/ What are you paying for ground beef #30  
I must look like a sucker because noone else ever mentions the problem I have with taking a steer to processors. A few examples.
Dropped a 1100 pound steer at processer and they charged me for 770 pounds hanging weight. The finest 1100 # steer on earth will dress out 660 pounds. Took a steer in Monday and got a call Thursday saying he's ready and their freezer is crowded,please pick up asap.
After that last episode the next steer I had killed I didn't give them a work order to prevent them cutting it up without sufficent time in the cooler. Pretty clever of me,right? When I called 14 days later to give them a workorder,they gleefully announced "he's processed and ready to pick up. They used workorder i gave them 2 years earlier for processing a cow that broke a leg. I've had steaks that coon hounds couldn't chew and meat tasting like it was laced with Lye Soap. Hth would a man know what Lye Soap tastes like you might ask? Little country boys that cussed in the early fifties know EXACTLY how it tastes. For the record,those incidents took place at various processers.