What Ate this Carrot ???

/ What Ate this Carrot ??? #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
Not directly tractor related but I know there is lots of gardening knowledge here so I will ask. My wife has been growing a vegetable garden for as long as I can remember. She pulled her carrots today and she found two that were eaten from the bottom up. Only a thin skin was left where it was hollowed out. The tops looked fine. We have never seen this before in almost 50 years of growing carrots. What did it ???? Thanks.

HollowCarrot2.JPG

HollowCarrot1.JPG
gg

/ What Ate this Carrot ??? #2  
Wow, is that odd. Maybe dig around in the soil to see if you can find any grub or something similar. I have no idea but I don't think it's a mole.

/ What Ate this Carrot ??? #3  
Are you sure it was eaten an not water core rot?

From the photos can't really tell much

Sometimes our rutabagas get hollowed out that's caused by water getting into the center

/ What Ate this Carrot ??? #4  
It looks like the work of a garden gnome, to me.
Sorry, Gordon, I couldn't help myself.:ashamed:

/ What Ate this Carrot ???
Are you sure it was eaten an not water core rot?

From the photos can't really tell much

Sometimes our rutabagas get hollowed out that's caused by water getting into the center

To be honest I am not sure of anything gardening wise. I will find out what water core rot is. It was certainly a wet summer if that is a factor. It only happened to 3 carrots out of about 25 lbs. The others were totally normal.

gg

/ What Ate this Carrot ??? #6  
Bugs-Bunny-Whats-Up-Doc.png

/ What Ate this Carrot ??? #7  
I'd look around for spoiled kids that refuse to eat the crust on their sandwiches ... Looks like a similar trend.

/ What Ate this Carrot ??? #8  
Are there any unsupervised pallets arround?

/ What Ate this Carrot ??? #9  
My guess is insects of some varriety. Ants? No mammal could be that precise.

/ What Ate this Carrot ??? #10  
got any voles around your place?