What Brand Electric Fence Wire For Horses

/ What Brand Electric Fence Wire For Horses #1  

jay3534

Silver Member
Tractor
AC 5015
Tried the fence tape and it didn't last. Interested in the poly wire. Any brand suggestions would be appreciated.

/ What Brand Electric Fence Wire For Horses #2  
I have had very good success with POWERFIELDS 9 wire 7MM hot braid 660 ft spools like from Stateline tack or Amazon. Have to watch for best prices maybe @ $90 a spool each delivery included.

Attachments

• uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 42
   / What Brand Electric Fence Wire For Horses #3  
Note that if you have a weed chopper type fencer and use fencing with the fine wires in it the fine wires will burn as well as the weeds. In those areas you may wish to resort to plain old wire.

/ What Brand Electric Fence Wire For Horses #6  
I like using high tensile or barbless wire (pony wire it is sometimes called) for horses instead of polytape or polywire.

/ What Brand Electric Fence Wire For Horses #8  
We put up Gallagher braided rope/wire fifteen years ago and it is still going. It stretched a bit in the first couple of years, and needed the slack taken out of it. We use a B100 solar to run perimeter dual strands (hi/low), and triple internal subdivisions. The high exterior braid is mounted on T-post caps and the low braid on insulating stand offs. The low wires have no trouble burning off weeds without observable damage. Shorting to a T-post definitely burns few wires, but the braid weave is very redundant, and it has no measurable effect on voltage or performance. The low wire has been very effective at keeping out pigs, FWIW.

We have had a neighbor's bull go through it once. Then again, he was provoked by our bull, and they both went through a five strand barbed wire fence as well the electric fence, one each. The neighbor's bull broke in, and our bull got pushed through onto the country road, where he was smart enough to walk up to our main gate, get through that and wander up to the house, which is how I found out about the whole fracas.

We also have some of the Premier fencing Endura-soft mounted on reels for temporary internal subdivisions. While it is good stuff, I don't think that it is in the same league as the Gallagher material, which looks to have more wire in it.

We figured that since the Gallagher materials are used extensively down under in sunny, hot, dry conditions that match ours here that they would do well here. They have. Years ago, I had experience with crappy 6 and 12V US chargers, and when I couldn't find a decent review of one (fifteen years ago), we went with Gallagher. No regrets. It has been set and forget.

A few years back, we had a monster lightning storm, and some nearby direct hits that took out the high voltage section in one charger, despite having a lightning arrestor on the wire adjacent to the charger. It was an easy, and inexpensive, repair. Then again, the same storm damaged also every grid step down transformer around us for miles. Our home transformers actually blew out months later, just as they were about to replace it, just by way of saying that they seem durable.

All the best,

Peter

/ What Brand Electric Fence Wire For Horses
Thanks

/ What Brand Electric Fence Wire For Horses #10  
A few years back, we had a monster lightning storm, and some nearby direct hits that took out the high voltage section in one charger, despite having a lightning arrestor on the wire adjacent to the charger. It was an easy, and inexpensive, repair. Then again, the same storm damaged also every grid step down transformer around us for miles. Our home transformers actually blew out months later, just as they were about to replace it, just by way of saying that they seem durable.

All the best,

Peter