What cause a tractor to lose forward and reverse?

/ What cause a tractor to lose forward and reverse? #1  

RickO

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota G1900
I have a FORD 1210 HST - I was moving some dirt with a dirt scoop. Moved a couple loads then went to go forward and the tractor would not go forward in either high or low range. It would go just a little bit in reverse but not much. The 3pt. works fine still. Any ideas? Also, Once when I went to switch from high to low range I heard a lot of grinding and metal on metal when I went to let the clutch out but not every time.

/ What cause a tractor to lose forward and reverse?
I have a FORD 1210 HST - I was moving some dirt with a dirt scoop. Moved a couple loads then went to go forward and the tractor would not go forward in either high or low range. It would go just a little bit in reverse but not much. The 3pt. works fine still. Any ideas? Also, Once when I went to switch from high to low range I heard a lot of grinding and metal on metal when I went to let the clutch out but not every time.

/ What cause a tractor to lose forward and reverse? #3  
From the sounds of your description, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Suspect the clutch as a possibility. The 3pt is powered by a pump on the engine, and I suspect the HST pump is behind the clutch, and pumping when the clutch engages the tranny.

Wish you the best, and hope it is simple.

/ What cause a tractor to lose forward and reverse? #4  
From the sounds of your description, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Suspect the clutch as a possibility. The 3pt is powered by a pump on the engine, and I suspect the HST pump is behind the clutch, and pumping when the clutch engages the tranny.

Wish you the best, and hope it is simple.

/ What cause a tractor to lose forward and reverse? #5  
Yeah, it sounds like money, eh I mean trouble. Suspect either the clutch/pressure plate are worn out or the release bearing gave up it's ghost.

Of course it could be the clutch is out of adjustment, or the suction screen or HST filter are clogged up. Those are both easy fixes, might as well check them first.

If you've never split a tractor, I can attest that it sounds more difficult than it is. Figure on 1 day to split the tractor, a week to diagnose, order parts, do any needed machining, etc and another day to put it back. Experience will drop those times. If you search ytmag.com in the ford section, there are a lot of good tips on how to split.

jb

/ What cause a tractor to lose forward and reverse? #6  
Yeah, it sounds like money, eh I mean trouble. Suspect either the clutch/pressure plate are worn out or the release bearing gave up it's ghost.

Of course it could be the clutch is out of adjustment, or the suction screen or HST filter are clogged up. Those are both easy fixes, might as well check them first.

If you've never split a tractor, I can attest that it sounds more difficult than it is. Figure on 1 day to split the tractor, a week to diagnose, order parts, do any needed machining, etc and another day to put it back. Experience will drop those times. If you search ytmag.com in the ford section, there are a lot of good tips on how to split.

jb

/ What cause a tractor to lose forward and reverse? #7  
The first thing I would check is to see if you need to adjust the clutch linkage. While I don't think this is the most likely problem, it is a good first step in elimination.

I'm assuming, of course, that your model has the clutch and that you use it for PTO engagement and that if you push it, the HST doesn't move.

I think that model only has the one pump for everything, so if everything else is working, the pump is probably good.

John

/ What cause a tractor to lose forward and reverse? #8  
The first thing I would check is to see if you need to adjust the clutch linkage. While I don't think this is the most likely problem, it is a good first step in elimination.

I'm assuming, of course, that your model has the clutch and that you use it for PTO engagement and that if you push it, the HST doesn't move.

I think that model only has the one pump for everything, so if everything else is working, the pump is probably good.

John

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The first thing I would check is to see if you need to adjust the clutch linkage. While I don't think this is the most likely problem, it is a good first step in elimination.

John )</font>

It is at the dealer now. When I told them on the phone they immediately said it was probably the cluctch linkage. I could live with that. I don't have a shop to work on anything so I am reluctant to tear into anything. I'll let you know. Thanks Guys!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The first thing I would check is to see if you need to adjust the clutch linkage. While I don't think this is the most likely problem, it is a good first step in elimination.

John )</font>

It is at the dealer now. When I told them on the phone they immediately said it was probably the cluctch linkage. I could live with that. I don't have a shop to work on anything so I am reluctant to tear into anything. I'll let you know. Thanks Guys!