What damage does running gasoline in a tractor cause?

/ What damage does running gasoline in a tractor cause? #1  

PoppaRob

Tractor
MF gc2310tlb
Hate to post this because you'll know i am an idiot, but i managed to put gas in my diesel compact tractor. I started running the machine and it ran roough so i immediately shut it down. I am draining the tank and lines now, but is it already topo late? It only ran roough for literally a second or two.
Thanks!

/ What damage does running gasoline in a tractor cause? #2  
Hate to post this because you'll know i am an idiot, but i managed to put gas in my diesel compact tractor. I started running the machine and it ran roough so i immediately shut it down. I am draining the tank and lines now, but is it already topo late? It only ran roough for literally a second or two.
Thanks!
I doubt it is too late. How much was gas vs diesel? Drain best you can, change all the filters, refill with diesel, let some flow on the ground from the line from the filters to the IP.

Different systems will tolerate gas different, but a couple of seconds with a 50/50 mix is not that likely to be fatal.

Clean it up as best you can, keep the faith.

Best,

ed

/ What damage does running gasoline in a tractor cause? #3  
Drain all the gas including the fuel filter. Open the bleed screw for the injectors, and drain all the fuel you can. Refuel with diesel and pre-fill the fuel filter. Try it. It will probably stumble and miss, and stall. Re-start again, and see if it smooths out. I think it will. I don't believe the few seconds did any damage to the injectors, but it it did, doing this most likely won't make anything any worse.

/ What damage does running gasoline in a tractor cause? #4  
yup, that's what I would do

/ What damage does running gasoline in a tractor cause? #5  
A good engine can usually run on up to 25% gas. Briefly.
One of the groups I traveled with frequently rented VW Jetta diesels in Germany. More than once a clueless member would pump gas. Several times we went through the routine of sloshing the tank around to try and ensure it mixed up.

/ What damage does running gasoline in a tractor cause?
I doubt it is too late. How much was gas vs diesel? Drain best you can, change all the filters, refill with diesel, let some flow on the ground from the line from the filters to the IP.

Different systems will tolerate gas different, but a couple of seconds with a 50/50 mix is not that likely to be fatal.

Clean it up as best you can, keep the faith.

Best,

ed
Thank you for the reply...
well there was very little diesel left in the tank, so if it got to the engine it was pretty high, but it only ran for a second or two...

Drain all the gas including the fuel filter. Open the bleed screw for the injectors, and drain all the fuel you can. Refuel with diesel and pre-fill the fuel filter. Try it. It will probably stumble and miss, and stall. Re-start again, and see if it smooths out. I think it will. I don't believe the few seconds did any damage to the injectors, but it it did, doing this most likely won't make anything any worse.
OK Thanks. Not sure there are bleeders for the injectors. I was just going to loosen the connector to the injectors and hope the gas will drain back through the pump and out the filter. The i would follow instructions to bleed air out of the lines... and pray!

/ What damage does running gasoline in a tractor cause? #8  
So the big difference is that gasoline is a terrible lubricant. Diesel injection pumps and injectors are lubricated by the fuel itself. So running them on gas long enough can destroy them. However, running them on a high enough concentration of gas just means the engine won't run, so you might have gotten lucky in the sense of having so much gas in there that you decided to shut it down immediately vs it running 'ok' and continuing on for hours..

I would just do the best you can to flush it out, and try it and see. Good chance it's ok.

Cracking the line to the injectors is the best you can do as far as bleeding but you CANNOT just 'hope it drains back'. You need to drain the tank, drain the filter housing if it's a serviceable element, totally replace the filter if it's a spin-on filter, prefill the new one with diesel, and crank the engine until the injection pump has pushed all the gas out of the leaking injector lines until you get diesel leaking out of those fittings, then tighten them down again and try to run it, preferably at idle until it seems totally normal.

If your mechanical pump has a primer function you could use that to help you purge some of the gas. Many don't have it. If you have a compression release you could use that while cranking to ease the load on the starter and battery while you are just pumping/purging fuel.

Ok... drained the tank and will leave the switch on the fuel filter open and then loosed the connector to the injectors and hope that will bleed the fuel back to the filter. i will look for bleeder valves on the injectors and fuel pump and open those too. Then refill the tank with gas... i mean diesel :) , change the fuel filter, open the filter cock, then crank the engine until fuel comes out of the fuel pump and close the bleeder valve, and the loosen the injector (or open a valve) conncectors one at a time while cranking until fuel spills then do the remaining two and hope all goes well. THank you all very much for the helP!!

So the big difference is that gasoline is a terrible lubricant. Diesel injection pumps and injectors are lubricated by the fuel itself. So running them on gas long enough can destroy them. However, running them on a high enough concentration of gas just means the engine won't run, so you might have gotten lucky in the sense of having so much gas in there that you decided to shut it down immediately vs it running 'ok' and continuing on for hours..

I would just do the best you can to flush it out, and try it and see. Good chance it's ok.

Cracking the line to the injectors is the best you can do as far as bleeding but you CANNOT just 'hope it drains back'. You need to drain the tank, drain the filter housing if it's a serviceable element, totally replace the filter if it's a spin-on filter, prefill the new one with diesel, and crank the engine until the injection pump has pushed all the gas out of the leaking injector lines until you get diesel leaking out of those fittings, then tighten them down again and try to run it, preferably at idle until it seems totally normal.

If your mechanical pump has a primer function you could use that to help you purge some of the gas. Many don't have it. If you have a compression release you could use that while cranking to ease the load on the starter and battery while you are just pumping/purging fuel.
gotcha. Thank you. Should i remove the fuel lines completely from the injectors while cranking? I imagine i dont want to introduce more gas there.... ?
\