What did I get??

/ What did I get?? #11  
From the local repair shops in town I have asked about the Harbor Freight motors and they said they can not get parts for them, when customers come in with a predator motor they have to send them away, as they can not get parts.
I found a replacement cam, but need a new governor that goes in the case. Any Ideas where is the best place to get one of those?
Thanks and God bless.

You can also get a Honda engine that will fit and there are threads here on how to do it. Looked easy.
The Tecumseh was the weaker sister to the Koehler engine. I get the feeling you would rather rebuild what you have, regardless of inconvenience, effort or time. That's OK and I understand. If that's not the case, buy a Honda engine. Still could use some pics.

/ What did I get?? #12  
What LD1 said...
Re-power with a replacement engine...
Easy to do...
I've got a tired 16 HP V-Twin Briggs on a Toro Workman that will get the same thing...
I bought a Horse model with the Kohler and electric start in 86...
Used it for 4 or 5 years and actually replaced the tines...
Quit using the tiller and later sold it...
Sat in the shed for several years and had to replace a solenoid...
Took it to Godley's Auction in Charlotte...
Darn thing brought what I paid for it...
They were great tillers...

/ What did I get?? #13  
May be true that you cannot get parts for the predator? Never had to look.

But for a $120 motor, its not worth putting much money in parts anyway. Its designed to be a disposable motor and not rebuilt.

You can buy a honda at about 3x the cost. Possibly have a easier time finding parts when needed. But when you start tinkering on a small engine, its easy to get a $100 bill wrapped up in parts. And with the cost of the predator motors, it makes me wonder why anyone would want to fool around with an old engine. That is still likely gonna be an old and tired engine (with a few new parts) when you are done.

Alot of good reading online about the HF pedator motors. Very little issues with them at all. They just work and do what they are supposed to do.

/ What did I get?? #14  
Try eBay, darn near everything shows up there

/ What did I get?? #15  
I re-powered with a Harbor Freight 6.5 hp 4 years ago for $99. Great little engines and I found that competitive go-carters use this engine extensively. Had a problem with the carburetor and found the solution on a carting forum. Now on the flip side, I bought a horse off craigslist for $50. Had a rusted out wheel and hood. This one came with a electric start 8hp Kohler. I ended up spending $400 reworking the engine and new tires/wheels. Still not bad for what I have now. The 8hp Kohler has a deep rhythmic rumble about it that is pretty cool. If you watch the adds you can still catch the 6.5 Predator for $110. Be aware with the new predators you have to defeat the oil level warning system, which will shut down the engine when deep tilling.

And I almost failed to mention, the Predator has about 1/3 more torque over the hh60 for what it is worth.

/ What did I get?? #16  
On the old Troy Built tillers - I believe they have bronze gears and require GL-4 grease. It's my understanding that the GL-5 grease that's now available contains phosphorus which will eat the bronze gears. At some point Troy Built changed to steel gears so the GL-5 grease was no longer a concern. Anyone have any info or corrections on this?

/ What did I get?? #17  
On the old Troy Built tillers - I believe they have bronze gears and require GL-4 grease. It's my understanding that the GL-5 grease that's now available contains phosphorus which will eat the bronze gears. At some point Troy Built changed to steel gears so the GL-5 grease was no longer a concern. Anyone have any info or corrections on this?

I called the company a few years ago and got the info.

GL1 is what mine calls for --1977--and that's available in many farm stores. You can also use any modern synthetic gear oil as well as GL5 that was made AFTER the formula was changed to be OK for bronze gears. I think that was a few years back but I don't know how to know for sure so I use the GL1.