What did you buy this week?

/ What did you buy this week? #111  
Air to air is not necessarily better at all. Each has pros and cons. The air to water design allows a more compact intercooler which can be placed anywhere. It enables Ford to be the only HD pickup truck on the market to offer a factory winch because it won't block the intercooler. In very hot conditions, the air to water CAC is superior because it doesn't pre-heat the air flowing into the radiator behind it, and it is very consistent. And no one in their right mind would think Ford having twice as many cooling parts as their competitors is doing things "cheaply."
Not really more compact because it requires additional items to get rid of the heat. Whether or not it preheats the air entering radiator depends on several factors, like distance to the radiator, edge opening and whether or not there is heat being produced that exceeds ambient air temperature. Cheap doesn’t mean that all those parts are cheaper than other designs but rather how cheaply they produce that particular design. Auto manufacturers always build as cheap as possible. Ford being at the too of the list over the years. I could provide a long list of their cheap parts used to sell the vehicles only to make the replacements much more expensive. When it comes to comparing a straight six to a v8 the straight six is a naturally balanced engine. Even Caterpillar had troubled with v8 Diesels. Watch for the straight six gas to make a comeback. The v8 design was for lower and shorter profile. If those Ford v8 Diesel engines were desirable to equipment manufacturers Ford would be happy to sell them.

/ What did you buy this week? #115  
I own a 2019 RAM 3500 6.7L HO Cummins with the Aisin transmission. Its a nice engine with good power; the transmission is durable but clunky and slow shifting. Compared to my 2017 F-350 with the 6.7L Powerstroke, the RAM is slower and if anything gets worse fuel economy. Its also harder to service - and that's not the fault of the Cummins 6.7L since its used in other applications - but the oil filter is in a terrible spot on the pickups and so are the fuel filters. A modern Ford 6.7L is effortless to change the oil and fuel filters. Duramax is pretty easy too. And if you watch any of TFL Truck's comparison tests towing max loads up the Eisenhower tunnel pass in the rockies, the latest Powerstrokes really outclass the Cummins trucks. Considerably quicker and better fuel economy. Will they last as long? Who knows. I also still have two Ford 6.0L trucks, a 350 and a 550. That V8 diesel was made by Navistar and known for its problems. But once you fix them, its a great engine and I like it better than similar-vintage Cummins 5.9L 24V engines. More power, much more responsive, just not as good of fuel economy.
Really could give a Rats ass about “quick“. I don’t buy trucks to win races.
I want reliable, durable, and long lasting. I want torque at the right spots to pull loads. I don’t want V-8 complexity and weaker bottom ends.
You can win all the “pulled a camper up a mountain pass at 75MPH” trophies you want.
Ford’s been through 4 different engines in 20 years. They lost me as a customer. They force fed junk to us and I shouldn’t have to rebuild ANY engine to make it reliable.

You rate an engine “harder to service” because of the oil filter location? Yeah, ok.

I’ll stick with Ram/Cummins.

Show me a Ford doing this and I’ll pay attention.
That’s 48,500lbs right there.

1700000578221.jpeg

Last edited:
   / What did you buy this week? #118  
Bought some work shirts as my go-to Carhartt S224 65 poly and 35 cotton permanently discontinued as did Sears and JC Penny... as did Grainger and Northern.

We will see as the only similar shirt found is through a uniform site so placed my order...

Very durable twill fabric that just lasts and lasts... I tried another brand and first day the material ripped when snagged while adjusting pilot on steam boiler...

/ What did you buy this week? #119  
Last Christmas I bought a DeWalt 20v combo on special through ACE and also cashed in rewards.

I have a 25 year old DeWalt cordless drill and a biscuit joiner which serve me well.

The 20v tools work but overall I guess you get what you pay for... the blower is weak and loud with limited battery life... the sawzall knock off really vibrates... the string trimmer very light duty, etc...

Had my Stihl AP blower and the difference was night and day across the board but it cost about the same as all the DeWalt package so there you go...

/ What did you buy this week? #120  
2 bottles of vodka and 2 bottles of tequila. Instead of wedding shower gifts they asked for bottles to stock the bar at the wedding reception.