What do I need?

/ What do I need?
varmint, thanks! Finding a good used one is not easy, but they must turn up from time to time. I'm in no hurry and still trying to rationalize my way into this anyway.

What are your thoughts about hydro vs the Kubota 8F/8R gear transmission?

Also JD brags on its PTO engagement on the fly vs Kubota's having to stop and engage. With my N- stopping is the norm for EVERYTHING so I can probably deal with it, but what are your thoughts.

I have to research this SSQA thing.

What do you use the rear remotes for?

/ What do I need? #12  
I drag from the toe bar and do not elevate the butts often. That's a good way to flip an N.

With an FEL front weight that danger will be ameliorated if not totally eliminated.

No power back in the trees. Could haul out a generator, but that would be a PITA. Electric ones are news to me.

Pull tree trunks to your driveway. Split there.

LINK TO TBN ARCHIVE: electric log splitters site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

venders of electric log splitters - Google Search

Would smaller tractors like the 2032 do all of these jobs just about as easily (and $10k cheaper)?

No. Too light.

SSQA: Google

/ What do I need?
I do pull logs to the drive when I have to, but I don't like it. For one, it creates a mess to be cleaned up after splitting, but mostly because dragging logs is **** on my chainsaws. All the dirt and grit makes for a lot of wear on the saws. I used to do it that way but now I like working in the timber better anyway, and hauling out finished wood is the way to go. Still, I do drag a lot of logs. Big ones too.

I think the 2r series is too light too. Now I'm trying to figure out the differences between 3R and 3E.

/ What do I need? #14  

Attachments

• DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
   / What do I need?
You can carry trunk sections on the FEL with SSQA pallet forks attached.

I've been contemplating that. Would have to fit between trees, but that might be completely reasonable for most logs. Some of the big ones would just have to be shorter and more trips, if they were too heavy.

/ What do I need?
Forks brings up an interesting conundrum. The Kubota guy was telling me any skid steer front end attachements like snow plows and forks work on their FEL. Not true of the Deere loader for the 3R or 3E series?

/ What do I need? #17  
SSQA, like the Three Point Hitch, is a UNIVERSAL STANDARD. Not tractor brand related.

With 4-WD you will not have as severe tire ruts as you do with the Ford 8N.

I have only air in the R4/industrial tires on my Kubota L3560. I carry a 60"/700 pound Cultipacker as counterbalance to FEL loads most of the time. 1,000 pound FEL loads are stable. If I see are rare need to lift a ton, I mount my 965 pound Disc Harrow, which protrudes far to the rear, providing a great amount of counterbalance via leverage.

Attachments

• DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 78
  • DSC00127.jpg
    DSC00127.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
   / What do I need? #18  
I've been contemplating that. Would have to fit between trees, but that might be completely reasonable for most logs. Some of the big ones would just have to be shorter and more trips, if they were too heavy.

Trunk sections do not have to be wider than your tractor. Trunk sections can be narrower than your tractor. Width of pallet forks is adjustable.

/ What do I need? #19  
Some of the big ones would just have to be shorter and more trips, if they were too heavy.

3039R FEL has a lift capacity of 1,360 pounds, according to tractordata.com

To move that much weight on FEL you would need a Three Point Hitch counterbalance of 1,000 pounds, less with LOADED REAR TIRES.

However, it is best not to move max loads all the time. Better more trips with below max loads.

Tractor reliability is first and foremost determined by the prudence and experience of the operator.

/ What do I need? #20