What do I need?

/ What do I need? #21  
So, I stopped at the Kubota dealer this morning. They had an L3901 on the lot and it looks about like what I would want. Very simple tractor. Maybe simple is a good thing in tractors. For a lot less bucks than a JD 3039R, I would have the same horsepower, but some lesser features I guess. Not sure i would miss them. The Kubota Dealer is mostly a tool rental dealer but has a Kubota and a Bobcat dealership on the side. The guy I talked to was very nice and helpful, but I don't know how dependable the dealership will be for service, etc. Still, he seemed like he was earnestly interested in my business and willing to work with me. I asked if Kubotas came in some other color than orange - which will clash with my red barn - no dice :( So, one negative. GregE, what is MMM? I am not good with tractor acronyms yet. Do you think you would like the extra horse power in 3039? Can someone tell me the difference between the JD 3E and 3R series? I'm also trying to figure out the + and -'s of hydrostatic or "PowrReverser 12F/12R" transmissions as well. Both makes come with both types of transmissions. Looks like Bobcat is out of the small utility tractor business. So, it is Big Green vs Orange.

Musdalen, remember that these tractors are so reliable that you will almost never be seeing the dealer anyway, unless you want to go and get some new implements fitted or perhaps have him or her do your fluid changes for you.

/ What do I need?
Musdalen, remember that these tractors are so reliable that you will almost never be seeing the dealer anyway, unless you want to go and get some new implements fitted or perhaps have him or her do your fluid changes for you.

Oh, how I hope that is true!!! That's a big part of my wanting to move on from my 8N and why I'm posting so many inane questions here.

You guys are lots of help!

/ What do I need? #23  
Maybe a utility side by side, or even an old ATV with a trailer which is what I used to use, would be more convenient for cutting wood? Section the wood right where the tree falls leaving the sawdust mess there then haul already cut firewood back to split. Now with a side by side I sometimes tow my log splitter along and get the splitting done on site as well. My splitter is a 22 or 25 ton unit from Southern States similar to ones at Tractor supply and it's made splitting fire wood SO much easier and faster. Champion Power Equipment 25 Ton Full Beam Towable Log Splitter - For Life Out Here

Now I'm not trying to talk you out of buying that new tractor, far from it! :D It's just that a side by side or ATV could compliment it and work better than hauling long logs with a tractor.

/ What do I need? #24  
A MMM is a mid mount mower. As with anything more horsepower is always good. I believe you will see most posters say it is always better to have more HP and not need it than to have less and need it.

/ What do I need? #25  
varmint, thanks! Finding a good used one is not easy, but they must turn up from time to time. I'm in no hurry and still trying to rationalize my way into this anyway.

What are your thoughts about hydro vs the Kubota 8F/8R gear transmission?

Also JD brags on its PTO engagement on the fly vs Kubota's having to stop and engage. With my N- stopping is the norm for EVERYTHING so I can probably deal with it, but what are your thoughts.

I have to research this SSQA thing.

What do you use the rear remotes for?

The 3901 has a "Live PTO", so no you do not have to come to a stop: TractorData.com - Power Take-Off

"How To" Operate and Drive a Tractor: Part 1 - YouTube

Understanding Tractor Transmissions - YouTube

/ What do I need? #26  
Tractor is one component, attachments make the tractor a work horse... Don't buy too big of a tractor and have nothing left over for attachments!!! Take your time to figure out what you need (all of it). Lots of reading to do and see what works best for you. My tractor is 10 HP less than the L3901 but is the same frame (and since I've jacked up the PSI, would out lift the one you looked at). Oh, and they are fun as heck!!!

View attachment 493774

View attachment 493776

/ What do I need?
The 3901 has a "Live PTO", so no you do not have to come to a stop: TractorData.com - Power Take-Off

Yes, that's what I thought but somehow this youtube video implies otherwise. Albeit, it is a GJD produced video.

John Deere 3E vs. Kubota. L Comparison Video - YouTube

Meanwhile, I have parsed out the difference between the 3E and 3R series. Midmount PTO is basically the issue. That would mean no belly mower or forward mounted snowblower on the E series. I could live with that for $4K+.

Seriously, my wife is not happy about seeing something big and orange out front all the time. I wasn't really considering that as a serious issue, but apparently, she is. I can cope with that however.

Milo, your suggestion is not a bad one. I do basically that now much of the time with a garden tractor and trailer. I don't have room to store an ATV/SxS but it would work for lighter duty stuff. I still need a real tractor, though I spent sometime thinking through the SxS idea last summer before deciding against it.

/ What do I need? #28  
Musdalen, I use the rear remote to angle the front snowplow... simply some hydraulic hoses with fittings run forward... If you are fetching a lot of wood, then a grapple (using hydraulics) would be a fine addition. As for post hole augers, pretty much any tractor will handle them. My first Kubota, a B8200, had a whooping 15 hp at the PTO, and drove a 9" HD auger with no trouble. And, as another poster noted, a clean used tractor shouldn't need any dealer service, typically, and will allow buying more equipment with your budget. I would love a cab for snow work, but when in the woods, or using the PHD, it would be a hassle and subject to getting damaged. Maybe I need two tractors?

Nah- I don't really even need one, but I figure it's a good way to "invest" my money and save a lot of hard work to boot. Bought right, and taken care of, you should be able to recover most, if not all, of your "investment". At least, that's been my experience with the first two Kubotas I owned. I cleaned them up, added some useful extras, and took good care of them, but they more than paid me back. Take your time, watch Tractorhouse and dealers within a reasonable distance, and good luck! Craig's list can work, but of course, it's hit or miss.

Oh, having begun with gear drive and then two HST's, I would never go back. I would like to go "forward" to the newer HST's on the Grand L's, but ain't gonna happen. Too old.

P1010768.jpg P1010775.jpg