What do you drive for a truck?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #202  
Meanwhile, I have never had enough tools or patience to own a Ford.

Have worked on plenty of them, though.

I dont know, Ive owned 2 F-150's and a few Rangers and not once ever did any of them leave me stranded. Cant say that about the GM, Chrysler and Subaru vehicles Ive had though.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #203  
I do believe it, but I cringe every time I remember how bad my 97 held up. It towed great and rode nice, but it didn't last. 3 transmission failures. Had a rebuilt one installed under warranty before 90k miles after the 2nd transmission issue. 2 water pumps. A/C issues. Several problems with ball joints and front suspension parts. I think I have ptsd from that truck.
The only anecdotal experience I have is my brother and a friend at work who owned a diesel and a gas Ram truck since new. Both had significant issues where they sold them with less than 80,000 miles on it.
The Car Wizard utube channel has videos called "Trucks to buy and not to buy". He recommends not to buy 2006 and new Dodge Ram 1500 (multiple displacement system issues). He recommends not buy the 5.4L 3 valve F150's. The 4.6L 2 valve is a good engine.
I personally own a F250 6.7L diesel with deleted emissions that runs great with 170k miles.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #204  
I dont know, Ive owned 2 F-150's and a few Rangers and not once ever did any of them leave me stranded. Cant say that about the GM, Chrysler and Subaru vehicles Ive had though.
No vehicle has ever left me stranded, and I've had many, ranging from $50 beaters to $100K new ones.

But if I didn't know how to fix things, or figure it out, I'd been stranded many times. And some vehicles are much easier to figure out and/or work on than others. Ford seems to like changing things for no logical reason, and often, so in my experience they're not in the easy group.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #205  
No vehicle has ever left me stranded, and I've had many, ranging from $50 beaters to $100K new ones.

But if I didn't know how to fix things, or figure it out, I'd been stranded many times. And some vehicles are much easier to figure out and/or work on than others. Ford seems to like changing things for no logical reason, and often, so in my experience they're not in the easy group.

Pretty tough to repair an engine that jumped time and died in the middle of the road at 3 am (chevy), or a head gasket on the side of the highway 250 miles from home (subaru), or an engine with a hole in the block while I was at work (X wifes car, another chevy) with my kids in it 20 miles from home. I really could go on, but none of my Fords have ever needed to be towed or repaired on the side of the road ever. Are they fun to work on? No but I have to work on them very seldom and NO newer vehicle is easy to work on.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #206  
It is silly to try to tell someone what brand of truck to buy, especially these days. Others opinions don’t even move the needle anymore. Everyone has to figure it out themselves. I currently own 3 trucks. All the same make. I understand them and know how to work on them. They are 56, 24 and 8 years old with a combined 500k miles. All of them are original engines etc. Both gas and diesel.

Figure out what you like and maintain it and it will last. I do not plan to ever buy another truck in my life. I will buy other vehicles to ensure the trucks last. I am 56…

/ What do you drive for a truck? #207  
My 97 Ram 1500 had so many transmission problems and an interior that fell apart that I would find it hard to ever buy a Ram again. I do like the way they look, but I just can't do it. The 5.9 gas guzzler was still idling perfectly smooth at 225k miles when I parked it and gave up fixing things on it. Too bad the rest of the truck didn't hold up as well. Yeah the 90's trucks were great.. lol

Yeah like 3 + decades ago. lol
I have some 90’s Ford sueprduty stories? Want to hear them?
I also have some 2010’s Ford stories, too. Much more recent.
No, I didn’t think so.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #208  
I do believe it, but I cringe every time I remember how bad my 97 held up. It towed great and rode nice, but it didn't last. 3 transmission failures. Had a rebuilt one installed under warranty before 90k miles after the 2nd transmission issue. 2 water pumps. A/C issues. Serveral problems with ball joints and front suspension parts. I think I have ptsd from that truck.
In my many years of driving experience, I found many people with excessive transmission problems have driving issues, like towing heavier than the transmissions specs, doing neutral drops, etc.

Then they jump on the net and stomp their feet like a 2 year old that the entire auto company sucks from top to bottom. lol

I have similar problems with much more recent Furds, but it was with known Ford diesel engine problems, like 6.4s and their crap rocker arms and DPF’s.

Anyway, go ahead & trash Ram.
I’ve owned Ford & Ram and have ZERO brand loyalty, but based on what I have seen after 4 years and towing 300+ 15-18 ton loads of hay, I’m very impressed. Never seen a Ford F-550 haul what my Ram 5500 will haul.

Last edited:
   / What do you drive for a truck? #209  
The only anecdotal experience I have is my brother and a friend at work who owned a diesel and a gas Ram truck since new. Both had significant issues where they sold them with less than 80,000 miles on it.
The Car Wizard utube channel has videos called "Trucks to buy and not to buy". He recommends not to buy 2006 and new Dodge Ram 1500 (multiple displacement system issues). He recommends not buy the 5.4L 3 valve F150's. The 4.6L 2 valve is a good engine.
I personally own a F250 6.7L diesel with deleted emissions that runs great with 170k miles.

I find many Ford guys have to modify their trucks to lower the amount of issues.
I left my 4 Fords with DPF’s “un-deleted” and suffered numerous consequences from doing so.

If my Ram fails, I will come right out and say it.

Brand loyalty is so stupid. It makes the loyalist look so myopic.

I mean WTF does a car manufacturer care about you or owe you? Yet you feel the need to trash other brands? Does anyone realize how stupid that makes them look?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #210  
Most people I know seem to shy away from Furds because of past and present experiences.

Which has surely helped Ram sales.

"Most people"???

Just looked up the figures. Ford far outsold Ram last year:
truck sales 2023.jpg

So it would seem that only the people you know are shying away.

And for the record, I own one of both so don't accuse me of being brand-loyal. Neither of mine are new, I've had them for years. And both have been super dependable.