What do you drive for a truck?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #211  
In my many years of driving experience, I found many people with excessive transmission problems have driving issues, like towing heavier than the transmissions specs, doing neutral drops, etc.
In all fairness, the Dodge transmissions were nothing to write home about, until the last 15 years or so.

Both the ZF and the Aisins in Rams seem to be great, though.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #212  
In all fairness, the Dodge transmissions were nothing to write home about, until the last 15 years or so.

Both the ZF and the Aisins in Rams seem to be great, though.
Neither were the Ford E4OD’s or 4R100’s.

Good thing about Ram in 2020 when I bouight mine is was they covered the whole powertrain 5YR/100K, while Ford only covered the Powersmoke diesel for 5YR/100K.

Showed me Ram had more faith in their drivetrains.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #213  
"Most people"???

Just looked up the figures. Ford far outsold Ram last year:
View attachment 857032

So it would seem that only the people you know are shying away.
I have to admit that I don't know all Ford owners.

Still, the Ford sales numbers are a bit misleading since they include the entire F-series.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #214  
"Most people"???

Just looked up the figures. Ford far outsold Ram last year:
View attachment 857032

So it would seem that only the people you know are shying away.

And for the record, I own one of both so don't accuse me of being brand-loyal. Neither of mine are new, I've had them for years. And both have been super dependable.
These numbers have always been misleading. Jinx @Too many Kubotas

/ What do you drive for a truck? #215  
I find many Ford guys have to modify their trucks to lower the amount of issues.
I left my 4 Fords with DPF’s “un-deleted” and suffered numerous consequences from doing so.

If my Ram fails, I will come right out and say it.

Brand loyalty is so stupid. It makes the loyalist look so myopic.

I mean WTF does a car manufacturer care about you or owe you? Yet you feel the need to trash other brands? Does anyone realize how stupid that makes them look?

I watch a lot of car and truck repair videos.
Statistically you are better off with F150 with 5.0 engine or Ford 6.7 L diesel.

I have a Mazda, Tesla, GM EV and Ford 6.7 L diesel.

Not really brand loyal. I buy what I believe will give me less headaches.

• Good Post
Reactions: RB5
   / What do you drive for a truck? #216  
I watch a lot of car and truck repair videos.
Statistically you are better off with F150 with 5.0 engine or Ford 6.7 L diesel.

I have a Mazda, Tesla, GM EV and Ford 6.7 L diesel.

Not really brand loyal. I buy what I believe will give me less headaches.

Buy what you want. We still live in a semi-free country, so do it while it’s still legal.

What I get a chuckle out of is someone who trashes another brand for really questionable reasons.

Vehicles and their quality change.
I remember when BMW was a poor reliability car, albeit fun to drive.
Now they get excellent reliability ratings.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #217  
I do believe it, but I cringe every time I remember how bad my 97 held up. It towed great and rode nice, but it didn't last. 3 transmission failures. Had a rebuilt one installed under warranty before 90k miles after the 2nd transmission issue. 2 water pumps. A/C issues. Serveral problems with ball joints and front suspension parts. I think I have ptsd from that truck.
Dodge and GM certainly did have tranny problems back then, as well as fuel pumps. GM transmissions still are disposable... at 5K per repair. They should just put them in with QA hydraulics and wing nuts to hold it together, for quicker changovers.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #219  
No vehicle has ever left me stranded, and I've had many, ranging from $50 beaters to $100K new ones.

But if I didn't know how to fix things, or figure it out, I'd been stranded many times
How do you repair a transmission or fuel pump on the road? I've swapped out the latter several times in the woods, but don't make it a habit to carry spare fuel pumps with me.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #220  
Dodge and GM certainly did have tranny problems back then, as well as fuel pumps. GM transmissions still are disposable... at 5K per repair. They should just put them in with QA hydraulics and wing nuts to hold it together, for quicker changovers.
I couldnt disagree more. GM builds excellent transmissions.
They owned the entire Allison Transmission company and still own the Allison small transmissions. For over 40 years, Ford medium & heavy trucks equipped with automatics had GM Allison transmissions in them.

Where do you get your “information” from?