What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns?

/ What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #1  

slow84ta

Tractor
Looking
I've been shopping around all year for a zero turn and I plan to buy one next spring. I'm really leaning towards one of the newer style steering wheel zero turns. Personally I like Exmark Quest Front Steer the best. I have a lot of hilly parts on my roughly 1 1/2 acres. I'm looking to spend around 3500 bucks. Any thoughts is appreciated!

/ What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #2  
If your mowing a lot of uneven hilly terrain around 10-15 degrees of grade then a Steering Wheel Front Steer Zero Turn Is a good option for you. They do provide better control and stability over traditional zero turns that have front caster wheels. Traditional Lap Bar zero turns tend to want to dive downwards on hills which can be very dangerous. Even better most of the new steering wheel units also have foot brakes. A good rule of thumb to go by while mowing a slope with your zero turn mower is to first start at the bottom of the hill and try back the mower straight up the hill. If you do not have any issues then your machine should perform just fine. Try to mow diagonally downwards if you can to maximize safety!

Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Toro and Exmark all have decent residential units in your price range that should perform just fine for your situation!

Review Article: Do You Really Need A Steering Wheel Controlled Zero Turn Mower? - Click Here

/ What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #3  
I have a Cub SZ60 Tank with the steering wheel and it is fantastic on hills. I've used conventional lawn tractors/garden tractors/zero turn tractors/and conventional zero turns, but the 4 wheel steering blows them all away. It's incredibly stable even on side slopes, I mow a section that is a bit uncomfortable angle, and the machine performs flawlessly, even turning uphill on a sideslope.....the steering wheels are so much better than lap bars in my opinion.

009.jpg

/ What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #4  
Never drove one but if they provide the same level of control that the traditional zero turn does I want one, free up that hand for my cigar.

/ What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #5  
They look good to me except the Cub Cadet part. I just don't think that they are leading the race in the quality, durability race. I have to admit that most commercial mowers use the same components, more or less.

/ What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #6  
They look good to me except the Cub Cadet part. I just don't think that they are leading the race in the quality, durability race. I have to admit that most commercial mowers use the same components, more or less.

While cub cadet residential product is mostly mtd made now . . . Its important to recognize that design quality is as big an isdue as build quality. Cub cadets residential build quality isn't what it was . . They hve been a leader in design quality and innovation for years.

To me . . Its about testing a unit before buying a unit. Test it on your slopes and grass type. Recently I saw a lightly used high quality commercial grade zero turn cub cadet steering wheel model for sale for what your price range is.

/ What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #7  
Never drove one but if they provide the same level of control that the traditional zero turn does I want one, free up that hand for my cigar.
Yeah I found my thirst quencher is getting too much seat time in its cup holder with my new Z turn. :D

/ What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #8  
Attached is a picture of my Z-Force S commercial with a 48 inch deck and recently added sun canopy. I bought the machine in May and posted a brief review about it in the Cub Cadet L& G forum. One thing I didn't mention in that post was, I wasn't sure Cub Cadet could build a sturdy machine but, after watching it mow a 5 acre picnic grounds last year, which has some terrain like mine (hilly & rough) I was convinced it could handle my 3.5 acres with no problem and it has.

Another thing that impressed me was how well it performed after I found out who operated it. Initially, I thought there was one or two guys who mowed the grounds but was told by a member, being they're a volunteer organization, multiple folks use the Z-force S. He said some of them respect the machine and some don't and the ones who don't really used the Z-Force S to the max last year. But, it held up and didn't need anything other than the foot pedal repaired which was fixed by the dealer at no cost.

He said the JD zero turn they used to have cost them a bundle to fix each year before the mowing season started. He said so far, they're very pleased with the Z-force S and would recommend it to anyone thinking about buying one.

Attachments

• Z-Force S Commercial with Sun Canopy.jpg
    Z-Force S Commercial with Sun Canopy.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
   / What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #9  
How do these things work? I thought they still had swivel wheels on the front.

/ What Do You Think about Steering Wheel Zero Turns? #10  
How do these things work? I thought they still had swivel wheels on the front.

How does it work? :drink:

Traditional lap bar zero turns have front caster wheels that spin around wherever the rear drive wheels go. In a steering wheel controlled zero turn the front wheels have a mechanism built onto them that are attached to the steering wheel. Along with the rear drive wheels still rotating as they would on a traditional zero turn. Essentially it is now a 4 wheel steering. Taken from:www.zeroturn.../do-you-really-need-a-steering-wheel-controlled-zero-turn/