What do you use for diesel transfer storage?

/ What do you use for diesel transfer storage? #11  
I switched to a larger Aluminum tank this past year on a custom pallet for loading into my truck. I go through 400 gallons per year, so transporting a year's worth of fuel was a no go DOT wise, and I don't really use enough to justify delivery. I ended up with a 108 gallon Aluminum cube with a low point drain.

My last tank was a truck mounted 37g steel tank with no drain. When I took it out of service after 10 years, there was a solid inch of dirt, silt, and gravel in the bottom. Lesson learned.... Drain and inspection is important!

/ What do you use for diesel transfer storage? #12  
Low consumption I just use 5 gal jugs. High consumption I could just fill at the neighbors fuel tanks.😁

Last edited:
   / What do you use for diesel transfer storage? #13  
Bought an L shaped tank back in '92. Used to carry it in the pickup but got tired of always hauling it about. Now I use tractor forks, or the skid steer, to load it in the back of the truck to be filled and than back on sawhorses.

Attachments

• P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    999.9 KB · Views: 66
   / What do you use for diesel transfer storage? #14  
I've got a 90gal transfer tank with a 12v pump. I'm seriously considering building a small trailer for it and my diesel 15kva generator that I could plumb in. I'm considering adding an air compressor to the setup as well. I feel like it could be a multipurpose solution:
Pull the trailer into town whenever I need to fill up, always have a substantial amount of fuel for the generator on hand, and have power/air/welder at any point on the property.

My biggest concern would be making sure that the tank center of gravity is low enough to prevent problems from sloshing associated weight shifting

/ What do you use for diesel transfer storage?
Thanks for the ideas! You all have some great set ups. Thanks for sharing.

I do have a truck, but the bed gets filled fairly regularly, so I am not sure that a bed mounted tank makes a lot of sense for me.

FWIW: The tractor uses 5-20 gallons a month, currently fed out of 5 gallon jerry cans, but I would like to have closer to 50 gallons on site for winter storms. I don't really want too much more, because I know I can't keep it turned over and fresh.

If anyone can point to California specific regulations, I would love to have it. I certainly do not know all of the local regulations, but as far as I can tell a removable transport tank has to be a) Federal DoT approved and (I think) tagged, b) be 60 gallons or less, and c) yellow in color, thought I don't think I have seen very many. In the case of bed mounted tanks, 120 gallon (actually the limit is, I think, 1,000lbs) are permitted without getting into the hazardous materials transport regulations.

Nice summary here, but I haven't found California specific regulations.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / What do you use for diesel transfer storage? #17  
I've got a 275 gal bulk tank with 120VAC electric pump. Anything that's near the barn gets filled from that tank. The I later added a 36 gal Tractor Supply tank & 12VDC transfer pump that I keep strapped in the back of my side by side. That's how I refuel equipment that's away from the barn. The side by side can get to equipment in locations that I couldn't reach with a tank in my truck. Plus I don't want to give up the space in the truck bed. I get the 275 gal tank fill by a delivery truck 2-3 times per year. The whole system has worked out really well.

/ What do you use for diesel transfer storage? #18  
I use a 100 gal steel tank with a fuel pump and nozzle. Tank has a couple of 3x6 tubes welded to the bottom so I can fork it into the pickup and I set it on a custom dolly in the barn to roll it into the using place.

Attachments

• IMG_3253.JPG
    IMG_3253.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3350.jpg
    IMG_3350.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 63
   / What do you use for diesel transfer storage?
I use 4- 55 gallon drums to haul my fuel. They don't bother farmers around here, so I don't worry about color, or being stopped for any violations.
Must be nice!

All the best, Peter

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

NEW 3/8" 20FT CHAIN W/9200LB BINDER (A34011)
NEW 3/8" 20FT...
Miscellaneous Shop Repair Parts (A33113)
Miscellaneous Shop...
11X22 STORAGE BUILDING ON SKIDS (A34011)
11X22 STORAGE...
Killbros 375 Gravity Flow Trailer (A33041)
Killbros 375...
Bush Hog 3 PT Backhoe New (A34302)
Bush Hog 3 PT...
2015 Great Dane 53 X 102 Reefer Trailer (A33439)
2015 Great Dane 53...