What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?
Something that I had forgotten about is that I used forks to lift, move and transplant some 15' high balled and burlapped trees awhile back. In the old days I would use my bucket but always tore the bark or did some other damage to the tree. With the forks. I could hold the tree over the hold to gauge approximate fit, and if correct, just back up with the tractor and slide the tree into the hole. Worked slick and way faster than the bucket.

For the bigger trees of maybe 400+ lbs, I would usually have to adjust the tree in the hole and by tipping the forks forward and sliding into the hole could wiggle the tree close enough to straight. Forks are the only way to transplant b&b trees.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #453  
After reading this thread I think I could save a lot of money by getting a set of forks rather than a Root grapple.

Anyone have both?

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #454  
After reading this thread I think I could save a lot of money by getting a set of forks rather than a Root grapple.

Anyone have both?
Forks can be handy...I put them on as needed...

But the grapple is on the other 98% of the time...

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #455  

Anyone have both?
Eighteen years ago I was clearing cedar trees with a tree shear and taking them to the burn pile on the forks.

But on the way, the wind would blow them off of the forks, so I bought a grapple.

Now I have two grapples and several sizes of forks.
44" wide Gorilla Grapple:
P5060032.JPG

72" wide Monster Grapple:
P4110004.JPG

42" pin top forks:
P6250005.JPG

48" pin top block forks:
P6190015.JPG

72" pin top forks:
P6190016.JPG

Last edited:
   / What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #456  
Bar transport:

BarSmall20200530_104756.jpg

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #457  
Fork'n my shed:

ForkWork.jpg

Lifting to reposition moving rollers and planks. Kubota's non-fly-by-wire provides for a lot better feathering control: any minor jerking will cause the [Hillman] rollers to jump and bolt from underneath.

Pay no attention to that pallet on the right side of the picture! It was NOT involved in any of this operation! :LOL:

I wish that I had a really short fork that I could use to just cup the beam underneath. I'm going to need to use something like that when I set the shed down on my blocks: yup, I'm literally landing this thing on some pre-set blocks (full perimeter blocks to seal up against critter incursions). The blocks are only 4" high; my floor jacks won't have enough clearance and the long forks aren't very subtle to operate with a lot of weight on them (Kioti can, most of the time, barely lift the shed).

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #458  
Fork'n my shed:

Pay no attention to that pallet on the right side of the picture! It was NOT involved in any of this operation! :LOL:
It's watching. They're always watching.
I wish that I had a really short fork that I could use to just cup the beam underneath.
You need a sky hook. Left handed work better.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #459  
It's watching. They're always watching.

You need a sky hook. Left handed work better.
I'm telling ya, this is one of those projects that I really didn't want to undertake. For sure, a sky hook would have been best!

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #460  
So you're saying pallets have started moving from fields into backyards???

They're getting closer...