What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #501  
I made a set of independent forks for getting under things that are not flat on the ground:
View attachment 722491View attachment 722492

Picking up a RR tie that is at an angle to the ground:
View attachment 722493

Setting the angle of the forks by curling down:
View attachment 722494

Backed up and got under the tie:
View attachment 722495

Picked it up:
View attachment 722496

Curled up and raised for transport:
View attachment 722498

Too slick X! Nice design and build. You are definitely hired. !

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #502  
Found another use for my forks. Rolling up the garden hose and transporting it back to the garage. Jon

Attachments

• 20220729_102545.jpg
    20220729_102545.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 91
   / What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #503  
I screwed a piece of treated plywood to a pallet and use it as a portable workbench.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #504  
Buy them to resell at the very least... wish I could find a set for $300.
Wow, I was thinking $300 was on the high side, but I got mine in the deal with my tractor.
I located a used forklift, took the carriage and forks off the mast and added 3 pt hitch pins after welding 3 plates to it.
I use it on the tractor that doesn't have a loader, or when the loader won't pick up something due to weight. The 3 pt is a lot stronger!
David from Jax

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #505  
Wow, I was thinking $300 was on the high side, but I got mine in the deal with my tractor.
I located a used forklift, took the carriage and forks off the mast and added 3 pt hitch pins after welding 3 plates to it.
I use it on the tractor that doesn't have a loader, or when the loader won't pick up something due to weight. The 3 pt is a lot stronger!
David from Jax
I shopped with a friend for a while and the with majority the asking was $500. here in Canada.
That was merchants of used equipment and not private.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #506  
I use it on the tractor that doesn't have a loader,

We have some apple orchards near us,,
one guy took the mast and forks off an old forklift, and mounted it to the FRONT of a mid 1950's CASE tractor.
I would guess the CASE is ~25-35HP,, He has forks on the rear also.

At harvest, he can move two giant boxes of apples, one front, one on the back,,
when out of the field, he loads the boxes on either a truck flatbed, or a 20 foot trailer.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #507  
So if the rated capacity of the forks is 4000 lbs and the tractor is capable of 5300+ breakout force, does it follow that the tractor can lift (albeit not very high) around 5000 lbs? If so, would it be better to get forks rated up to 5500 lbs just to be safe? I am think that one use of the forks, for me, will be moving large logs (at least until I get a grapple). I am thinking that the tractor will give me some feedback if I start to push it too hard...maybe not the forks. I don't want to buy them twice.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #508  
I am think that one use of the forks, for me, will be moving large logs (at least until I get a grapple).
Once you move a LARGE log with forks, you will never consider using a grapple to move the LARGE log.

The weight added by the structure of the grapple wastes the loader lift capacity.
In many cases, a set of forks will lift a log 1,000 pounds heavier than a grapple.

That is because the grapple weighs 1,000 pounds more than the forks.

Leave the grapple for moving lightweight, bulky, hard to handle brush, etc,, and do the heavy lifting with forks.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #509  
Once you move a LARGE log with forks, you will never consider using a grapple to move the LARGE log.

The weight added by the structure of the grapple wastes the loader lift capacity.
In many cases, a set of forks will lift a log 1,000 pounds heavier than a grapple.

That is because the grapple weighs 1,000 pounds more than the forks.

Leave the grapple for moving lightweight, bulky, hard to handle brush, etc,, and do the heavy lifting with forks.

That's what most people who load log with loaders use here. Just the forks but with a clamp on and it allows to load more than one. The others typically use a logging trailer with a logging crane.

66504713_2329974887098146_973200831488720896_o.jpg

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #510  
That's what most people who load log with loaders use here. Just the forks but with a clamp on and it allows to load more than one. The others typically use a logging trailer with a logging crane.

View attachment 756292
Is the thumb/grapple arm a separate attachment or are they sold like that? I have seen some sold here with two arms, never one. Does it get in the way of loading pallets, or can it lift up out of the way?

what kind of tractors are those? I could not read the names.