What fruit trees?

/ What fruit trees? #1  

widefat

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 Husq GT52XLS Husqvarna LC121P Husq 455 Rancher Stihl FS90 Stihl MS170 99 Ram 1500
We are going to plant an orchard this year - in Central Va., zone 7.
What are ya'll planting for apple/peach/cherry/pear?
I have set aside about 2 ac -
We will be canning, cooking, and eating off the tree.

/ What fruit trees? #2  
I'm planning to plant some peach trees, The Red Haven is the first to sell out at our local farmers market. Peaches don't keep but for a few days though. So unless your into constant canning, you be the best of friends during the peak/peach season.

/ What fruit trees? #3  
We are going to plant an orchard this year - in Central Va., zone 7.
What are ya'll planting for apple/peach/cherry/pear?
I have set aside about 2 ac -
We will be canning, cooking, and eating off the tree.

I suggest that you check with your state Agricultural Extension Service; they can give you mountains of information on what trees grow and produce well in your area and how to care for them.

/ What fruit trees? #4  
Being a newbie forty years ago here are a few things that i noticed since then.

1. Don't plant anything within 50-75 feet of a hedge line of trees. There's too much shade, but more importantly, the hedge trees suck up the water.

2. Apples seem to get cross infected with cedar apple rust with too many cedar trees nearby.

3. Just plant the semi-dwarf varieties so picking isn't such a "tall" problem

4. Two (2) acres of trees will produce one hella-of-a lot of fruit........more than one can use for personal use.

5. Some years certain fruits are more abundant than others. That's Mother Nature's domain.

6. Dormant spraying seems worthwhile to me, but the scheduled sprays are too expensive, time consuming and not worth it for the amateur.

7. The squirrels and deer will definitely get their share.

8. Searching catalogs for the right variety is .......well........Try Starks company....in SE Missouri I think.

Cheers,
Mike

/ What fruit trees? #5  
I agree that two acres will produce a huge amount of fruit. And it will also demand a lot of work. While its not like planting vegetables or flowers, you will still be spending considerable time pruning, mowing, and spraying -- not to mention picking. And I wouldn't underestimate the spraying side of things. Any mono-crop will foster an increasingly intense invasion of insects, fungus, etc. over the years. And it takes some pretty substantial equipment to spray trees -- even semi-dwarfs. So unless you have some real background in this [and you may very well have] I would start small. I would also test out a number of varieties. Regardless of what the experts say, you never know how a species will react to your highly local conditions and soil. Nor can you know what diseases, fungus, etc. is lurking in the ground or neighboring trees. And then there are the deer and the bears -- nothing beats a good outside dog [one species I'm sure of].

/ What fruit trees? #6  
Yes, DrRod has added more good info....and P.S. i might add.....

1. Consider adding other crops to that area, such as strawberries, raspberries and some grape arbors. Each of these have a "culture" all their own to learn.

2. Maybe start an Asparagus bed. That's a high dollar item to buy in the store and good to eat if you like Asparagus.

3. Had four kids, a sergeant type dad and an energetic Mrs that put it all together. Making Christmas preserves (gifts) in decorative jars was a hit
with the rest of the family.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
   / What fruit trees? #7  
Mix 'em up! Pears, apples, plums, peaches. Will need a minimum of 2 varieties within each species. Different varieties ripen at different times. I would include red and golden delicious, mackintosh and maybe granny smith on the apple side. Pears...duchess and bartlett. Plums santa rosa and whatever you need as the cross pollinator. Not familiar with peaches (too cold around here). Ditto the advice to start small unless you are familiar with pruning techniques. A good nursery will advise on planting depth (need to keep that graft joint above ground or you'll get standard trees from semi dwarfs), spacing, etc. I think the trend now is to place a slow release fertilizer packet into the hole. And trunk guards are a necessity for rabbits, mice. How you protect the tender tops from deer is another question. A friend of mine built a 8' fence (has more in the fence than the trees)...something that may influence your size. You might want to dedicate some of your area to raspberries or grapes (or even hops if you want to experiment). It is a lot of work in the "formative" years but some people find it therapeutic...some people learn to hate it. Good luck!

/ What fruit trees? #8  
Yes, DrRod has added more good info....and P.S. i might add.....

1. Consider adding other crops to that area, such as strawberries, raspberries and some grape arbors. Each of these have a "culture" all their own to learn.

2. Maybe start an Asparagus bed. That's a high dollar item to buy in the store and good to eat if you like Asparagus.

3. Had four kids, a sargent type dad and an energetic Mrs that put it all together. Making Christmas preserves (gifts) in decorative jars was a hit
with the rest of the family.

Cheers,
Mike
In a previous residence I had a mix of trees. I remember one extreme drought year where a young plum tree started throwing off fruit at the rate of 5 lbs/day for 2 weeks (defense mechanism I guess). In addition to the fresh bounty we shared with co-workers I actually learned to love making jellies and jams...and always a welcome gift.

/ What fruit trees? #9  
A few more pears, and paw-paws. Look and see if your county conservation district is having a seedling sale, you can get nice trees for a discounted price.
Also an interesting concept in planting trees is guild planting. Where you place various plants around the base of the tree that are beneficial to the tree and do not require mowing under it.

/ What fruit trees? #10  
Take a look at the website of Lee Reich. His blog is incredible, and his books are almost as good.
A few more pears, and paw-paws. Look and see if your county conservation district is having a seedling sale, you can get nice trees for a discounted price.
Also an interesting concept in planting trees is guild planting. Where you place various plants around the base of the tree that are beneficial to the tree and do not require mowing under it.