What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time

/ What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time #11  
   / What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time #12  
The Allis name still appeared on farm tractors as “AGCO ALLIS” into the early 2000’s.
They had Detroit diesels and Funk powershift transmissions in them.

Looked like good tractors.

Then they were just “AGCO”.

The AGCO name brand went away in about 2013. I think the AGCO tractors were the best blend of modern, powerful and affordable.

Now AGCO offers Fendt, Massey Ferguson, Challenger and Valtra.

/ What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time #13  
I worked at the AGCO R & D facility west of Phoenix in the early 90's. They were also using C series Cummins engines in the White tractors. AGCO took on quite a line of different brands of tractors. Need to add Gleaner into the mix also,

AGCO is the acronym for ALLIS GLEANER COrp.

/ What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time #14  
My Grandfather worked for Allis before WW2 in Cincinnati.
I still have the letter they wrote releasing him to join the navy when the war started.
The allis plant in Cincinnati is still going Siemens now

/ What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time #15  
I worked at the AGCO R & D facility west of Phoenix in the early 90's. They were also using C series Cummins engines in the White tractors. AGCO took on quite a line of different brands of tractors. Need to add Gleaner into the mix also,

AGCO is the acronym for ALLIS GLEANER COrp.
The AGCO (RT100-140) tractors assembled in France had 6.7L Cummins in them. Highly sought after, especially the CVT versions.

What specifically did the R&D facility that you worked at do ?

/ What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time
Part two video:

/ What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time #17  
Reminds me of AO Smith in Milwaukee. I hauled tons of frames for Ford motor out of there. I believe they are also defunct. Good paying loads, especially on a Friday evening when they went exclusive use.

/ What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time #18  
I've been to both AGCO tractor and implement plants in Coldwater Ohio and Independence MO. I do believe both have since shut down.

/ What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time #19  
Far as I know, the only thing that the Coldwater Ohio plant made was manure spreaders. Delivered there many times. They did have a test track but I never seen any tractors on it. Just so happens that SCH's main office is in Coldwater as well. I used SCH components on the cutterbar of my combine.

/ What happened to the Allis Chalmers plant and a look back in time #20  
Far as I know, the only thing that the Coldwater Ohio plant made was manure spreaders. Delivered there many times. They did have a test track but I never seen any tractors on it. Just so happens that SCH's main office is in Coldwater as well. I iused SCH components on the cutterbar of my combine.
Yes, there was a test track and also had a pretty good sized dyno room. There was a service training building across the street where I helped do a major upgrade on a McConnell-Marc articulated 4WD tractor.

Last edited: