What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open?

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #1  

candersen10

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 262c, NH TN75, JD 6430 premium, JD 5325, Kubota BX2200, Ford 1710HC, JD 333E, JD3720, Farmall 504, Farmall 404.
My family farm has a bunch of tractors/skid steers and a lot of different people use the equipment. Some of us have gotten use to shutting machines down with the throttle all the way up. I've always assumed this is not good for equipment. Can anyone here articulate why it is not good to shut a diesel tractor down at full throttle, or if I am wrong, why it doesn't matter? Most of our machines are turbocharged and I have read that shutting a turbocharger down at full throttle causes it to spin rapidly without lubrication.

Has anyone had any turbocharger failures or other engine failures after regular full throttle shut downs?

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #2  
if pulling a load a diesel needs to cool a little bit be for turning of. question why would you shut one down this way? if it was my stuff and I caught someone doing that it would be last time they were on it

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #3  
if pulling a load a diesel needs to cool a little bit be for turning of. question why would you shut one down this way? if it was my stuff and I caught someone doing that it would be last time they were on it

I agree, let her settle down a bit before shutdown!!!

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #4  
You are talking hi idle as opposed to full throttle. Full throttle occurs only under full load where the gov gives full fuel. ... And yes, in that situation there is a lot of heat and very hi turborpm. Stalls during hard work are not good and should be restarted immediately. Intentional cutoffs under these conditiions are almost non existent. OTOH, cutoff from hi idle is not optimum -- but not so bad because it is a lo fuel/moderate heat condition. Best to go to lo idle tho, for a short period before shutdown.
larry

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #5  
No different than a car or a truck. We don't shut them off or start them at full throttle.

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #6  
If it has a turbo and is shutdown from high idle. There will be shortened service life.
Have you asked the operators how they get their jollies from a max rpm shutdown? Obviously they have not read the operator's manual.

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #7  
Shutting an engine down at full throttle defies any logical concept of good practice. Why would anyone do this? "Some of us"... I can't even imagine what thinking would lead to this with one person, much less "us". Out of kindness I allow any internal combustion engine to ramp down prior to shut off. This includes 22,000HP General Electric Gas Turbines, whose shutdown cycle is computer controlled. Balancing Delta T's is important on shutdown for any mechanism with dissimilar metals operating under elevated temperatures.

Other than this post, I'm speechless at the practice. Don't do it.

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #8  
Like the others I can't figure out why anyone would ever shut any engine down from high throttle speeds. It is counter intuitive. You say people are really doing this?

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #9  
In addition to not shutting down at full throttle, give it time to cool down at low idle, especially if it has just been worked hard. OM for my JD 6415 states two minutes idle for cool down prior to shutdown.

/ What happens if you regularly shutdown a diesel engine with the throttle wide open? #10  
We just bought a new zero turn with a gasoline motor. My wife said it was getting hard to cold start. Right after that I saw her shut the motor off on it at full throttle. I told her to idle it down before shutting it down. It cold starts perfectly now.